Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

RobertCullen
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8320
My Carrier: T-Mobile

BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2.2 Download Needed!!

I'm looking for a link to download the Desktop Software version 4.2.2.  I have a laptop running Windows Vista where someone tried to install this version . . . and the install didn't take.

Now that I'm trying to remove it . . . it keeps asking for the source disks . . . which I don't have!  I'm hoping that if I reinstall the same version . . . it will allow me to uninstall it.

I found a download link for version 4.6, but this installs a seperate instance of the software, and does not remove the older version. 

Can anyone help me find version 4.2.2??  Many thanks!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.2.2 Download Needed!!

Hey RobertCullen,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Desktop Software 4.2 is not available to download anymore.  Any reason you want to use this software except for the uninstall issue?

You should be using the latest from www.blackberry.com/desktop

Also to fix your uninstall headaches complete all the steps in this KB article: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
RobertCullen

ViciousFerret,

Thank you for the response.  I am only looking for the Desktop Software 4.2 to help with the uninstall process.  I checked the link you included for uninstalling the desktop software . . . and didn't find anything I haven't tried.

The problem I'm running into is when I run the uninstall from the "Add/Remove Programs", the uninstaller gets halfway through . . . and then throws an error that it needs the original installer files (looking for them on a disk).  At that point (because I don't have the original installer files), the uninstaller reverses all of its changes, and leaves things the way they were before I tried the uninstall.

For that matter, I have the same problem if I try to launch Desktop Software 4.2.  It begins an installer instance . . . gets halfway through . . . then asks for the installer files.  Again, since I don't have them, the installer reverses all its changes and puts me back where I was.

So I'm stuck with a partial install.  Everytime I boot up the laptop, I get an Desktop 4.2.2 installer that won't finish, and has to be cancelled.  I can't uninstall the software either.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
fs_james
My Device: *
My Carrier: No Carrier

INstall the latest version then check is your problem solved or not. DOnt think that the new version will uninstall or not just do it and check. Because there is no tool for removing the desktop mananger from the pc. If new version works and the old version still remains on your PC then may be you think its not right but in this seen you cannot do anythink except to install the latest version and leave the old version on your PC too.

Please use plain text.
RobertCullen

fs_james,

Thanks for the comments.  I already tried installing a newer version of the software.  It simply creates a new instance of the program (with the newer version number in the title).  Removing this newer version still leaves the older version there.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Sorry for the delay in replying Robert.

I dealt with this issue more than a dozen times in the past, it will take some time but this will fix your issue:

1. Disable all start-up programs from msconfig.  Restart the computer.

2. Now you will to go into task manager and end any tasks that have MSIEXEC, since the installer keeps popping up.  It may take a few times but it will stop.

3.  Next you will need to manually remove all BlackBerry data from the registry and program files and common files on the C: drive. NOTE: create a backup of your registry before you start to remove the BlackBerry files just to be safe.

4.  Once this is completed restart the computer and you'll need windows installer cleanup utility to remove BlackBerry Desktop Software from the add/remove programs.

Let me know if you run into any trouble.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.