Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

avbkmason

BlackBerry device password does not work with USB Device Password to connect to laptop

I installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and, when connecting my BlackBerry 8830 via USB cable, I am prompted for the USB Device password. The BlackBerry device password does not work (I get 10 tries, each try increments the counter). The same password works to unlock my BlackBerry device - and I see the same counter (e.g., 7/10, 8/10) on the BlackBerry device before I unlock it. How can I find out the correct USB Device password (I'm sure this is the same as the BlackBerry device, but confused on why it is not working)?

(Note: now that the Desktop Manager is installed, the USB cable does charge the phone; prior to this, I would get a message that the USB charging power was not sufficient).

I have re-booted my PC and re-booted my BlackBerry (taken battery out), but did not resolve the problem.  Also, tried changing the Blackberry device password, but still cannot get past the USB Device Passwork prompt.  This prevents me from using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rob4450

Re: BlackBerry device password does not work with USB Device Password to connect to laptop

Maybe this will help.also  if you disable the password on your phone when connecting to the manager it will not ask for a password

Also are you certian you are putting in the right password? I have seen this problem alot where you think the pass is 1234 but its actually wers

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

Re: BlackBerry device password does not work with USB Device Password to connect to laptop

Rob 4450 is correct. Most people think they're inputting numbers when it's actual letters you're using. When you type in the password on a BlackBerry it will default to using letters. If you want numbers you have to hold the ALT key then hit the key with number.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
dkhiggs

Ha! I was having the exact same problem, as described above & was about to figure out how to "wipe" my device, reset it (or whatever it may be)lol.....NEVER once occured to me that it was such a simple matter & something so very obvious (or not so very obvious, as the case may be?lol). 

I sat here & laughed at myself for about 30min after reading your post (4450) & resolving my "issue"!?lol Thank you SO very much....for the resolution & the comedic bonus!!lol ;o)

p.s. Your tact in the matter was also quite admirable, as well (not pointing out our "user error")lol:smileywink:

~♥This IS My Happily Ever After♥~
Please use plain text.
kunalbhatia

[ Edited ]

Hi,

It's a samll problem which nobody knows......for eg in case you think your passward should be 12345 you will type the same but it will take 'wersd' do when it ask's for device password and ur password in '224466' please type 'eessff' problem solved.....Thanks

Kind Regards

Kunal Bhatia

EDIT: Removed personal information

Message Edited by Andy on 09-30-2009 06:25 AM
Please use plain text.
abrefaa

Thank you so much. I was about to completely wipe all the data from my device and then something told me to search online for an answer. Thanks again. It's true what another user has said, i would have never thought to enter letters. Really when the device prompt you to enter a password it should inform you that it may be letters and not numbers that you are entering. So simple yet so complicated. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
dnacho
My Carrier: Verizon

What happens when the number has not corresponding letter? for instance my pass is 0323.. i tried 0RER and ORER and even just RER but nothing.. i have two chances left.. please advise !

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants

Hi dnacho and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

Hopefully I caught you on time before you wiped your BlackBerry

According to what you indicated your password to be, it should translate to 0rer on the keyboard.  One trick you can do is to change your password on your BlackBerry to a word instead.  I'm assuming that you're running into this problem on the BlackBerry Desktop Manager?

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nimbinwolfgang
My Carrier: Telstra Australia

hi friends,

trying very hard to conect the BB 9700 to my pc. can't get it working.

my device pw is 29D9DC1C. typing that on the keybord of the pc in the window "Device password required". it just doesn't work. what can I do?

Pls help me

avbkmason wrote:

I installed the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and, when connecting my BlackBerry 8830 via USB cable, I am prompted for the USB Device password. The BlackBerry device password does not work (I get 10 tries, each try increments the counter). The same password works to unlock my BlackBerry device - and I see the same counter (e.g., 7/10, 8/10) on the BlackBerry device before I unlock it. How can I find out the correct USB Device password (I'm sure this is the same as the BlackBerry device, but confused on why it is not working)?

(Note: now that the Desktop Manager is installed, the USB cable does charge the phone; prior to this, I would get a message that the USB charging power was not sufficient).

I have re-booted my PC and re-booted my BlackBerry (taken battery out), but did not resolve the problem.  Also, tried changing the Blackberry device password, but still cannot get past the USB Device Passwork prompt.  This prevents me from using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

nimbinwolfgang

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80

That looks like your device's PIN. Are you sure you set that as the password to unlock the device?

BTW, just as a precaution don't put your password on the forums.   :smileyhappy:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.