Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Terra
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn't recognize paired Bluetooth Connection

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn't recognize the already paired Bluetooth connection with the Blackberry althought the PC and the Blackberry Device Manager find the Smartphone.

I paired the PC and the Blackberry in the Bluetooth Settings Dialog in Windows. I activated the Bluetooth support in the  Blackberry Device Manager and it seems that everything is alright, the BB Device Manager shows:

Blackberry 9500 - connected

COM1 - not connected

However, when I open the Blackberry Desktop Manager a Dialog Box with no buttons appears on start up telling me that no Device is connected. Except this Dialog Box everything is greyed out in the Desktop Manager and I can't do anything except closing it.

I've already tried to delete the Bluetooth connection and pair it again, same result.

The Firmware Version is 4.7.

Can anyone help me?

Stefan

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Terra

Re: Blackberry Desktop Manager doesn't recognize paired Bluetooth Connection

bump

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Terra

bump2...

Please use plain text.
mmanna
My Device: Pearl 8130
My Carrier: Verizon

Sorry I don't have any answers, but maybe some additional info will help get to the bottom of it for both of us.  I am experiencing identical problems with my computer as well as two of my customers.  All 3 are identical HP laptops (DV6-1350US) with bluetooth adapter "HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth 2.0 Wireless Technology" (that's the exact name in Windows' device manager).  All 3 computers running Windows 7 Home.

By default, device manager shows two "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" entries with exclamation points under "Other Devices" but manually "updating driver" to select Ports->RIM Virtual serial port didn't make any difference either.

Of the 3 different cases I'm working on, one is a Pearl 8130 (from Alltel which is now Verizon), one is a Curve 8330 (from Alltel), and one is a Curve 8330 with native Verizon firmware on it.

It seems to me that the phone is certainly not the problem here since I'm seeing identical symptoms from 3 different phones.  I'd be curious to know if other people with this problem have any other similarities to my situations.  As I said before, all 3 laptops are the same HP's, all 3 running Windows 7 Home.  Desktop Manager on at least one of them is 5.0.1.28

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kckn4fun
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm having the same issue.  I have a Blackberry Bold 9700.  I just bought it from T-Mobile about four days ago.  At first, it paired and synced beautifully with my computer.   For some reason now, it pairs, but doesn't get recognized by the Blackberry Desktop Manager.  When everything was working fine, I remember seeing the three COM ports in the Blackberry Device Manager, and a fourth port labelled as RIM virtual serial (I believe it was something like that).  Now, that fourth port is GONE.

My new reality is this: for some reason, my computer pairs with the phone nicely-- even the phone confirms it.  When I enable the headset service with my computer and call my phone, the phone transfers the data to my computer.  However, Desktop Manager STILL doesn't see the phone!  When I plug the phone in via USB-- no problems.  When I unpair the device and run the "add" bluetooth device dialog in the "configure bluetooth" dialog, the BlackBerry Device Manager searches for the phone, finds it, pairs it with my computer and I can confirm this from the Windows dialogs.  However, Desktop Manager still doesn't see my phone.  I'm afraid if this doesn't get resolved the phone will be returned in favor of another device. 

Are you reading this RIM?  I gave you all a try and my wife is laughing all the way with her iPhone in hand.  Please don't make me return to AT&T.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kckn4fun

..and by the way I'm running WindowsXP SP3 with all the latest updates installed.  Office 2003 with all the latest updates installed.  I do have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse that work flawlessly.  I also have a Treo650 that has been sync'ing over Bluetooth on this computer for well over a year (since I bought the computer).  My computer is a Dell Precision T3400 running the Broadcom Bluetooth wireless driver stack, v5.1.0.2400.  My Blackberry Bold 9700 is running v5.0.0.330 (Platform 5.1.0.91).

Please note I have already turned off WiFi AND the Mobile radios when attempting to sync, so that's not it either.  I've also seem rumblings on the internet for other Blackberry phones that mention having to configure COM ports.  It would be nice if the COM port dialog would do more than adjusting speed.  Maybe like giving the ability to add and remove ports from that list?  I wonder what **bleep** product manager decided that wasn't a priority.

Please use plain text.
alaurie

Same Issues. HP6930P running Windows 7 Enterprise and BB 8900. Able to get the computer Bluetooth to connect with phone with no issues. Desktop Manager can not find the phone. The best I have been able to achieve is it sends a pairing request to the phone but none of the codes I know of work. HELP !!!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kckn4fun

Got an update for everyone.  And a resolution.  I'm a super techno-freak so I couldn't pass up this challenge. 

After posting here I found a couple of obscure links on the net that rumbled about the Bluetooth drivers.  The issue has many variations on the same theme: Blackberry Desktop Manager does not play nicely with any Bluetooth driver other than the standard MS drivers.  I read posts on various forums stating that experience with Toshiba drivers, WIDCOMM/Broadcom drivers, Sony drivers and others.  When I looked at my Device Manager I noticed that the Bluetooth device was, in fact, running a Broadcom driver.  To make a long story short, once I removed that driver (this is actually more painful than it sounds), everything worked.  Removing the driver though, was VERY tricky.

Unless you are an advanced (or at least adventurous) user who has a great backup of your data, you may not be able to get around this issue. 

To understand how this is a PC issue (and not Blackberry's), we have to explore how that driver got there to begin with.  When I installed XP to this machine I did a clean install-- booting from an XP OEM disk.  After the clean install, I install the drivers that aren't recognized.  This includes the Dell drivers for that wireless keyboard (Dell P/N: GM952) and mouse (Dell P/N UN733).  Once I install that driver, Windows picks up on the Bluetooth dongle and automatically installs the Microsoft Bluetooth drivers.  This is very important because-- that's what Blackberry software is built on (or so I think, based on my results).  Next I start hitting the "Microsoft Update" web site applying "required" and "optional" updates until I'm done.  At some point, Microsoft Update slips in a Broadcom driver update as an "Optional Update."  So unless you specifically install it, it doesn't get installed.  I guess this is the case because there are other Bluetooth devices out there that report issues with this driver stack.  How do I know that was the source?  Well, I ended up having to re-install my O/S to get rid of that driver.

Yeah, you read that right.

I'd been debating going to Windows 7 anyway, as well as going 64-bit, so I just decided to try it.  I have nightly backups so I didn't have to worry about data loss.  And since I was going to format the drive, I figured I'd try it with WindowsXP first, just to try and reproduce this mess.  But how did I arrive at that decision?  Well, apparently, once the Broadcom driver hits your computer, the Windows driver installation mechanism will always favor that driver and choose it during device discovery.  Even if you manually list everything out, Microsoft Bluetooth drivers aren't listed-- just the Broadcom drivers (which is very weird).  So I saw a few links out there about going and hacking an *.inf file and others in the System32 directory, but as a Software Architect, I can tell you-- that is a dangerous proposition for the stability of your system.  I took the "user's" approach-- I removed the O/S and started from scratch, only this time, when I started with the MS Updates, I was on the lookout for that driver update-- and I summarily hid it from view.  After that, Desktop Manager worked flawlessly for a few days.  The weird part is under the Broadcom drivers it worked at first, but then the behavior became erratic.  After a quick call with T-Mobile tech support they confirmed what I was observing: any other driver *MIGHT* work with the Blackberry Desktop Manager-- but isn't supported, or guaranteed.  Lesson learned.

Now I have the ability to ignore this device and install my drivers separately.  There are some drivers (such as Toshiba's) that come bundled with the system and will always do an up front installation-- meaning that is where you start from.  IN that case the best thing you can do is get your hands on a non-Toshiba Windows disk and do a true blank install using your license and downloading your other system drivers manually-- EXCEPT for that Bluetooth driver, and using the MS driver.

Now I'll tell you, I've since installed WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and encountered the same thing, but stuck with the MS drivers and have had zero issues since going down this road.  If anybody has questions, I am subscribed to this thread so just reply to this post and I'll reply when I can.

Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nasly
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: BSNL India

Hey,

I have been having problems with connecting the phone to the desktop manager,,  It automatically checks for updates and freeze.. (even with the auto update turned off).

Also pops up that that The application loader wizard requires the Blackberry device manager to be installed, Please contact customer support.

Please help.

Thanks,

Nasly.

Bold 9700

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

nasly wrote:

Hey,

I have been having problems with connecting the phone to the desktop manager,,  It automatically checks for updates and freeze.. (even with the auto update turned off).

Also pops up that that The application loader wizard requires the Blackberry device manager to be installed, Please contact customer support.

Please help.

Thanks,

Nasly.

Bold 9700

Hi there!

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.