Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
streamsaver
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry Desktop Software 5.0 or 5.1

I have a 9550 storm 2. My oper sys is windows 7 64 bit. I run outlook 2010 and have hotmail (live mail). My email doesn't download to my blackberry.  I am considering downloading desktop 5.0 or 5.1. I can't find a place (other than the people who load you up with everything) to download it at Verizon or blackberry. My device software is 5.0. Please advise my best way to do this so I can begin getting my email again. I'm changing to a windows phone when windows 8 comes out. Thanks, Gary

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Desktop Software 5.0 or 5.1

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There is no reason to install ANY Desktop Software in order to receive email on your BB. Rather, your BB can, with the proper data plan from your carrier, integrate directly with your email account and receive new emails over the air (OTA). Perhaps there is a different (or more detailed) reason you think you need the Desktop Software? But, as written, it would be irrelevant to your stated desire.

In any event, a few older Desktop Software versions are available here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
streamsaver

[ Edited ]

Unbelievably quick. I'm having trouble with my blackberry refusing my email password. I thought I might be able to do it better through the desktop software.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Please be explicit...there are several possible passwords that this could be (e.g., Device Lock, BIS, BB ID, etc.). Further, if it is presenting you with an error message in response to entering your credentials, please be explicit about that as well (complete, exact, all punctuation, all error codes, etc.).

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
streamsaver

On 8-6  I plugged my blackberry into my computer. It went through some sort of an update. I received a Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless and a “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.

Since that date I have not received any emails.

I’ve tried to set it up on the blackberry several times and may have not checked the email square. When I go in to set it up now it won’t let me add it as a new email account. Instead, it requests a password to start synchronization of my contacts (it omits my mail). As soon as I’ve typed in my password, it tells me my “password is invalid please try again”.

Again, I may have hit the wrong button somewhere on Hotmail or blackberry because it sends my text messages to my sms and to my email address.

Once I started to try and correct the problem, I made it worse.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...after any updates, I always suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 2 and 3 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register with VZW

• Dial *228, select option 1
  • Dial *228 again, select option 2 (you actually should to option 2 monthly)

2) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

3) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

4) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

You may have a challenge at step 2...but I still can't quite tell what password you are stuck on. The contact sync you may have activated...a few email services can sync contacts OTA, but the selection for that is still in the same app as the email setup wizard (it's just a checkbox within the wizard).

What you may want to do is remove the email integration completely and start over clean. You can do that in the email setup wizard, via a PC/browser to the VZW BIS login page, or by going to www.blackberry.com/integrate from your BB browser.

Again, though, I still cannot quite tell exactly the password it's asking for...from what you described, I can't tell if it's a BIS password, a BBID password, an email account password, or something else. So, at the moment, I'm still having to guess.

As for SMS going to your email address...are you quite sure about that? Perhaps your SMS are simply displaying within the Messages app? That would be completely different from them actually being forwarded to your email address...the Messages app can be a unified inbox of truly everything, if so configured.

BTW -- VZW can manage your email integration "behind the scenes" if you just call them for formal support...

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
streamsaver

Thanks for your help. The password is my hotmail password so it is associated with my email account. I will try this tomorrow and let you know. I appreciate all your time. Streamsaver

Please use plain text.