Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
sueshaw
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom

Re: Blackberry Desktop won't install on Windows 8

Hi Vivaldi - he said you can't edit your existing username.  He said you need to create another temporary user (go to Control Panel, search for User Accounts, select Create a New User), and give it a username with no spaces.  Then download and istall the BB Desktop using that user account.  Once BB is installed, go back to Control Panel as before, and remove that user account.

Hope this helps! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jgrahammba
My Device: 9780 Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

I have a new computer and cannot install the blackberry desktop software.  I have tried many times, from RIM and from Rogers, and I get the same problem.  It asks for language preference, which is only American English, and then the box comes up with all that text, and that is the end of it.

I called Rogers, and they could only direct me to the software download page, which was no help, as I had already tried that.

In addition, no where can I find the program on my computer.

I must be able to sync my blacberry, or get a different phone.

Is there a patch or something that I can easily download for my blackberry 9780 to work with this new computer?

Please help. 

I do not follow the technical suggestions, and do not know how to get to the areas mentioned with Windows 8.

Jennifer

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jgrahammba wrote:

Please help.  I do not follow the technical suggestions, and do not know how to get to the areas mentioned with Windows 8.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Since you have elected to use an "unsupported platform" (technically Win8 is not supported by the Desktop Software), you are at the mercy of following all that other users have done to get it to work. There is nothing further available from BlackBerry since you are on an unsupported platform. You quite simply must follow the technical suggestions of others, as there is no formal instruction available, since you are on an unsupported platform.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jgrahammba

Thanks for the quick response. 

I guess shopping I will go to get a new phone and provider that is supported in Windows 8.

There are no computers on the market with Windows XP anymore, I tried...

Jennifer G

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ummm...you perhaps missed that, between XP and Win8, there was both Vista (trash, IMHO) and Win7 (excellent, IMHO)?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jgrahammba

:cathappy:  Not a miss - I have a laptop with Vista **bleep** that I do not use at all - just a backup for documents, and I have another mini for travel that has Win7.

My main laptop is an HP with XP, and this is the one I needed to replace.

I am just going to cancell my blackberry account with Rogers, and use a cell phone I have that is the cheapest on the market, and pay as you go.

If I cannot sync, then the Blackberry is of no value at all to me.

I will try to reach RIM tomorrow, and if they cannot help me, then that's it, I'm done.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jgrahammba

I did just call Rogers, and they gave me a number to call Blackberry.  Blacberry only wanted to help if I paid...

My decision is now done.

I don't understand why they do not provide support for their products.  Now I understand why they are failing on the market.

It will be sad tomorrow, as I have been a life long supporter and customer of RIM and the Blackberry, until now.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Actually, even though it's now irrelevant (since your decision is done), you are missing a little bit of the formal support puzzle here. Contractually, BlackBerry is not allowed to provide any front line support to end users. That's the responsibility of the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers (it varies by region and issue). Each of those has the power to escalate cases up to BlackBerry at no charge to the end user should such be required. But end users cannot bypass their contractually required support entity and seek anything directly from BlackBerry.

Sadly, Rogers let you down...they seem to have given you the number for "Incident Support", which is a way for end users to bypass their contract for formal support, and go direct to BlackBerry. But, as you discovered, it involves fees...since it's bypassing your contract.

Rather, Rogers should have offered (for valid situations) to escalate your case to BlackBerry, which would not involve fees to you. But, I suspect that, since you indeed are attempting an "unsupported configuration", that there simply was no way for Rogers to escalate your case...all documentation is available, and what you are attempting is beyond that which is supported. So free escalation up to BlackBerry may well not have been available for your situation.

But, please try to keep in mind that you are making the choice to try to use an unsupported configuration. So the results may well be exactly as expected, from the perspective of the formal support model. Other users report that they have gotten it to work on Win8, but BlackBerry does not presently support that configuration, so they really wouldn't have anything further to offer (beyond what is already published).

Now I know that support model sounds convoluted and complicated...and perhaps even not desirable. But, contractually, it is what it is, and all parties (BlackBerry, the carriers, and even the end users) are all bound to that process.

In any event, good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jgrahammba

Thanks Sdgardne,

Thanks for the explanation.

I am very frustrated right now, and have a real issue with Microsoft, since Vista!!!#$%$#!!!, trying to force us to replace and buy new software and peripherals, which I have refused to do.  For example, my  Vista!!!#$%$#!!! computer is now just an expensive external hard drive, and never used the Vista!!!#$%$#!!! as an actual working computer.  I went out and bought a commercial high end HP, as they still included XP in 2009.  Loved the computer.

Right now, none of my printers, wireless mice and other peripherals, such as the Blackberry, or software, such as Adobe Pro 7.0, work with Win8.

I find it offensive and a total lack of respect by Microsoft, and all those companies creating new products in line with MS, rather than providing a simple patch, and taking care of their existing and loyal customers.

I see no benefit from a business perspective with Vista, Win 7 or Win8 - Win 8 really is a big tablet for gamers, for email, and targets young people only - which is not the majority of the market, and rather a dwindling market growth.

I have been trying for a month now to make this new computer my primary, and still have not succeeded -  Only MS Office and Visio Pro 2007 are compatible so far.

I have always thought of RIM as the pride of Canada, avant garde, solid for synching compared to other products, and respectful of its customers, until now.

I will call Rogers and escalate the issue before I dismiss both companies from my business and personal relationships.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Jennifer

Please use plain text.