Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
FiestaCat
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

CRTranRec::GetLinkedRecordId : Invalid linked record Id

[ Edited ]

Can not sync!! Got a new BB from Sprint because the Alt and Space key died and now I get this error message.  Can anyone get me around this message so i can sync?

FYI this is my third replacement since April....not so happy with the recent BB offerings.... quality is slipping!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FiestaCat

Re: CRTranRec::GetLinkedRecordId : Invalid linked record Id

I have uninstalled and reinstalled desktop software, tried to load only one way - either from Outlook or device and can not get past this error. I NEED HELP!!!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FiestaCat

Thank you for the help but it has not fixed the error.  I plan to dump the BB and get an iPhone/Samsung - I can not continue to spend hour after hour rebooting/reloading and still not be able to synch.  The 9930 has been nothing but problems since I purchased it in April.  Dead screen, stuck keys and now this. Feels like keeping this thing running and hanging out at Sprint stores is my new full time job!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lippo
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

I looked at this response, which is intended to help people with this problem with Desktop Software.

For me, it looked dauntingly difficult to do, with only an estimated 50% success rate.

It seems to indicate that the fix is intended for when you have a new phone you need to synch, because it talks about cleaning all the data off your phone (with a new phone this normally wouldn't be too much of an issue, and you would normally have created a backup on your pc).

In my case, it's the laptop that's new, not the phone. So, there's a lot of data to lose on the phone. Losing all contacts would be a major problem for my business, especially since I don't have the contacts in Outlook.

I have had 3 new Blackberry's in 22 months. The support from BB is RUBBISH!

First, when I took out the contract, it took a month for my first BB to arrive, so I paid for a month's use of Smartphone usage that I never had.

Second, each time the BB packs up, I have to package it up and send it away, then wait another month each time for a new replacement (they don't fix your old phone, so you lose anything that's on there). So that's now up to 3 months of usage I haven't had - and will never get - in this contract. Most people just contact their (non-BB) provider and get a new phone next day! Especially iPhone.

Third, when you have a problem, you have to hunt around yourself on forums for a fix, BB offer NO HELP AT ALL.

Fourth, I have been unable to get my BB to work as a mobile internet connection for my laptop even though it supposed to be able to do so. There is a documented method to supposedly enable this, but again it is far too complicated. On my wife's ancient semi-smartphone, you just plug & play!!

Fifth, for this particular problem, BB have been unable to fix it!!

Oh, and sixth, if you try to upgrade your BB device software, it tends to kill the phone!

In summary, a less-than-satisfactory user experience!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Lippo wrote:

I looked at this response, which is intended to help people with this problem with Desktop Software.

For me, it looked dauntingly difficult to do, with only an estimated 50% success rate.

It seems to indicate that the fix is intended for when you have a new phone you need to synch, because it talks about cleaning all the data off your phone (with a new phone this normally wouldn't be too much of an issue, and you would normally have created a backup on your pc).

In my case, it's the laptop that's new, not the phone. So, there's a lot of data to lose on the phone. Losing all contacts would be a major problem for my business, especially since I don't have the contacts in Outlook.

I have had 3 new Blackberry's in 22 months. The support from BB is RUBBISH!

First, when I took out the contract, it took a month for my first BB to arrive, so I paid for a month's use of Smartphone usage that I never had.

Second, each time the BB packs up, I have to package it up and send it away, then wait another month each time for a new replacement (they don't fix your old phone, so you lose anything that's on there). So that's now up to 3 months of usage I haven't had - and will never get - in this contract. Most people just contact their (non-BB) provider and get a new phone next day! Especially iPhone.

Third, when you have a problem, you have to hunt around yourself on forums for a fix, BB offer NO HELP AT ALL.

Fourth, I have been unable to get my BB to work as a mobile internet connection for my laptop even though it supposed to be able to do so. There is a documented method to supposedly enable this, but again it is far too complicated. On my wife's ancient semi-smartphone, you just plug & play!!

Fifth, for this particular problem, BB have been unable to fix it!!

Oh, and sixth, if you try to upgrade your BB device software, it tends to kill the phone!

In summary, a less-than-satisfactory user experience!

Hello and Welcome to the Community!

We are so sorry that you are having so many difficulties. While many experience the same (a search here will reveal that fact), there are also many who have very positive experiences with their BB. Not every device is suitable for everyone -- which IMHO is why there are so many choices.

Please understand that RIM is technically not contractually involved...you purchased your device from a reseller, and obtain your services from a carrier...you pay no money to RIM directly for anything. Hence, front line support for BB's is, by virtue of that same contract, not provided by RIM. The carriers and authorized resellers are responsible for ALL front line formal support to their end users, and have the ability (indeed, responsibility!) to escalate cases into RIM that they cannot solve (at no fee to the end user). It is possible to bypass your carrier and seek assistance direct from RIM, but such involves fees since you are bypassing your support contract with your carrier. You can research "Incident Support" here:

If you desire to ask other kind volunteers for specific assistance about how to get the most use out of your BB, then this forum would indeed be the correct place for that.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Lippo
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodafone

WHAT A COP OUT!

Manufacture an unreliable product, then expect vendors to sort out your problems.

Is the non-working BB Desktop Software also the responsibility of resellers and carriers? NO!

Are resellers and carriers to blame when BB phones stop working for no apparent reason? NO!

Is it the fault of resellers and carriers that the method for getting a BB to work as a mobile modem unworkable? NO!

Is it the fault of resellers and carriers that device software upgrades kill BB phones? NO!

These are ALL the responsibility of RIM.

Little wonder you pulled out of the retail market - you just don't have a competitive product and are unable to support your existing products.

When (not if) my lastest Curve 9300 dies, I won't be replacing it with another BB.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello, again.

"You"? As in me? You did read what you were presented with when you signed up here, right? That this site is a user-to-user community...NOT a channel for any formal communications with RIM? You read that, right?

So, since I don't work for RIM, it is therefore not a "cop out" on my part. All I do is relay the FACTS as I know them to be...how you choose to deal with them is entirely on you. I made no statements of fault nor blame...rather, what I tried to tell you was how the support model works -- and EVERYONE is contractually bound to that support model...the resellers, the authorized service centers, the carriers, and yes even the end users.

Now, as to whether it's a good or bad support model --- well that's a totally different discussion (and one I've learned to not bother participating in).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FiestaCat

I have two laptops - one for personal and one for work.  The Toshiba/MS Office is the laptop I use for personal stuff and the BB.  The ThinkPad/LotusNotes is ONLY for work.

I had the same issue.... lots of data to lose and almost did.  I never, ever thought I would say this ... but thank good for Lotus Notes.  I was able to restore and older backup on my BB from the Toshiba, install new desktop software on the ThinkPad and synch with LotusNotes. I only lost couple of appointments/contacts/changes.  I tried again to get the Toshiba to synch and it's still not having it. I must have 40 + hours in this stupid thing and it has gone from a thing I loved and worked great for many years to a device I absolutely HATE.  Now I have to get my personal stuff off the ThinkPad ASAP and before I backup again.

Isn't technology supposed to make my life easier......

I'm off to the Sprint store on Friday to get a smart phone that works.  Any suggestions on a new phone....iPhone or Samsung??

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FiestaCat

I too am angry with the lack of support from BOTH Rim and Sprint.  Rim offers nothing and Sprint in a way is worse ... the chat's and conversations with their support group is like talking to a 4th grader... no wait... a 4th grader has some tech skills... more like talking to my granparents.

Please use plain text.