If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Shippy
My Device: Not Specified

Cannot Load Applications Using Desktop Manager

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130 (through Verizon) and am running Microsoft XP Professional on the PC. Using the About Blackberry Desktop Manger menu item, I find the Desktop Manager version is 4.3.0.15 (Aug 15 2007), the Device Manager version is 4.3.0.7, the Application Loader version is 4.3.0.13, and the RIM program is 1.0.0.35. The Device Software tab has no software listed, although I have several applications installed.

The problem is that when I try to load a new application, the loader program always gives an error message that it cannot find any new applications even though I point it to a directory that contains both the *.alx and *.cod files. Luckily, so far i have been able to find over the air installation options but that isn't always going to work.

I have spent hours on this problem, mostly on the the Blackberry website, but so far have been unable to find anything that worked. I even did a full reinstall of all of the desktop and device software--a full half day job.

Any new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ben

Re: Cannot Load Applications Using Desktop Manager

Your problem is that you don't actually have the BlackBerry Device software installed.

You can download this from:

http://vzam.net/blackberry

Once you have the HandHeld code installed, you should then be able to upload those applications. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jram101

Yah, you have to install the BlackBerry Device Manager which is different than the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
--------------------------------------
BB 8130 Pearl
IT Professional
Please use plain text.
Contributor
-silentmax-

ive always wondered why is that? i mean sometimes its needed (the device software i mean) and sometimes its not? anybody care to explain to my why?
Lynn

I got the same thing going on here as Shippy. The reply following directly below has given a link to download the software. I went there. It's for verizon only. Is there, or what is the link to U S cellular????    thank you...              Lynn
Please use plain text.
Contributor
-silentmax-

hi there lynn try this

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D707329BECE455A462B58CE00D1194C9 

frfghtr
My Device: Storm 9530 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: MTS

Silentmax

ive always wondered why is that? i mean sometimes its needed (the device software i mean) and sometimes its not? anybody care to explain to my why?

Could it be that the desktop manager is generic so as to support all blackberrys but the device software is required for programs that will only work on certain models?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Ben

[ Edited ]

frfghtr wrote:

Could it be that the desktop manager is generic so as to support all blackberrys but the device software is required for programs that will only work on certain models?

Yep. The Desktop Manager is designed to be universal between BlackBerry Devices, and as handheld code can change for BlackBerry devices often, the configuration files are not included with releases of just the Desktop Manager. You will need to download the relevant handheld code from your carrier to include it.
PITA I know, but its the only way it can be reliably done.
Message Edited by Ben on 04-02-2008 03:26 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
-silentmax-

aha now i know :smileyvery-happy:

... and knowing is half the battle ta-na-nan! 

Shippy

Thanks to all who responded. I have seen this response many times before and thought I had all of the required software installed. The response from Ben worked perfectly. I guess that makes me wonder why Verizon doesn't do a better job of clarifying the needed software or bundling everything together and using a "smart install" approach that says "you have this installed but not that, do you want that installed now?" It sure would have saved me time. Thanks Ben and others who took time to respond.
Please use plain text.