Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Realtorboy
My Device: Storm 9530

Cannot uninstall BB desktop manager

[ Edited ]

Someone please help! I installed desktop manager 4.7 on my Vista Home Premium computer and it will not allow me to set up the sync preferences. Now it will not let me uninstall the program and I keep getting a message "error 1402,could not open key" Then it tells me to make sure i have sufficient access to that registry key.

Can someone tell me how to get this bleeping software off my computer so I can re-install the older version that actually works? I've searched the past threads and cannot find a solution.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Realtorboy on 06-19-2009 11:29 PM
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Cannot uninstall BB desktop manager

Realtorboy wrote:

Someone please help! I installed desktop manager 4.7 on my Vista Home Premium computer and it will not allow me to set up the sync preferences. Now it will not let me uninstall the program and I keep getting a message "error 1402,could not open key" Then it tells me to make sure i have sufficient access to that registry key.

Google search on error 1402. Third search result, Microsoft help and support database article.

Click here to access:  Microsoft Windows error 1402

Can someone tell me how to get this bleeping software off my computer so I can reinstall the older version that actually works? I've searched the past threads and cannot find a solution.

Once you have the sufficient administrator rights to access the registry, use this article to cleanly remove the

desktop manager software before the next installation. Click here: Blackberry KB Clean uninstall

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Realtorboy

Thanks! But I'm running Vista and these fixes were for Windows 2000, ME, etc. I searched the same for Vista and followed the instructions but the first one says to use the uninstall on the control panel and I can't get past that step. I went ahead and deleted all the registry keys that it said to delete and tried to reinstall but no luck. Still the same message. What next?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Please reread the Blackberry article again.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Realtorboy wrote:
Thanks! But I'm running Vista and these fixes were for Windows 2000, ME, etc. I searched the same for Vista and followed the instructions but the first one says to use the uninstall on the control panel and I can't get past that step. I went ahead and deleted all the registry keys that it said to delete and tried to reinstall but no luck. Still the same message. What next?

From the desktop clean removal procedure I sent you.

For Windows Vista®

1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager, if it is running.
  2. Open the Control Panel and click Programs and Features.
  3. Select Uninstall a program.
  4. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
  5. On the InstallShield Wizard window, select the Remove option and click Next.

For Windows Vista

1. Open Windows Explorer.
  2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\ and delete the Research In Motion folder, if present.
  3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ and delete the Research In Motion folder, if present.
  4. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\ and rename the InstallShield folder to InstallShield_Old.
  5. Navigate to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\ and delete the Research In Motion and BlackBerry Desktop folders, if present.

Note: If you are unable to see the Roaming folder, it may be a hidden system folder. See the Additional Information section of this article for instructions on how to display hidden files and folders

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Realtorboy

I have completed all of the suggested fixes, ran a clean uninstall, even ran the Windows install cleanup utility. I'm still not able to delete two registry keys and I believe this is the problem. It keeps telling me I don't have permission to delete or change permissions. I am the only user of this computer so I am the admin. How can I delete these two keys?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Realtorboy wrote:
I have completed all of the suggested fixes, ran a clean uninstall, even ran the Windows install cleanup utility. I'm still not able to delete two registry keys and I believe this is the problem. It keeps telling me I don't have permission to delete or change permissions. I am the only user of this computer so I am the admin. How can I delete these two keys?

The built-in Administrator account is disabled by default in Vista.

Being the sole user doesn't give you those rights by default.

Here is a link to the Microsoft Vista Forums. Click Here: Micrrosoft Vista forums

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.