Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

Everyone is free to choose what they desire to choose. No platform anywhere is truly "perfect". Each must weigh their own personal needs and desires, learn about the various alternatives, and then choose the one that best meets what they desire. There is no fault in that whatsoever. Indeed, I believe that it's exactly why there is a plethora of choices in our technology world...the diversity of the human species mandates a huge amount of choice!

Good luck with whatever decisions you make.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Peter_Jones
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks to all, especially "Guru III". I have been able to download and sync an earlier version of the Desktop Manager. It's not perfect as my old one used to sync with my live.co.uk folder and I've had to create a Personal Folder, which works well if a little inconvenient.

On an adjacent note, we who are not as well versed as some when stuff goes wrong should be truly grateful to those who are prepared to guide us in forums like us. If you think of the possible combinations of kit and software, then it's a miracle that we are able to solve any of these problems. THANKS!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
slh1078
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

OK this did finally work. You do have to follow ALL of the steps exactly as listed. And definitely use a registry cleaner and re-boot frequently. A lot of work!!! (As in several hours with false starts from not following instructions exactly.) All to solve a problem that RIM created (and yes I know you are not a RIM employee.) Would like to give them a piece of my mind...any suggesstions?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slh1078

Actually just a word of caution...backing up is critical as the process did wipe out my calendar. Fortunately I was able to restore...we'll see whether it synchs properly going forward...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slh1078

**WARNING** today I found that several issues had been created in MS Office that I can only attribute to having done this process since everything was working before. The Help button is now disabled in all programs (click and nothing happens). When I try to use an add-in for PPT that creates SCORM content I am blocked from doing so.

I think it's BYE BYE Blackberry...I can't deal with this!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Wow! Given that only one (optional) thing in there actually touches Outlook, your result is quite astounding indeed! I've done this exact process more than once, with no result like that at all. I don't, though, use the add-in you discuss, so have no comparison there.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slh1078

Oh, and the Search function in Outlook doesn't work...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slh1078

Thank you for reading and replying!  You really do great work.  I'm just so frustrated that my life has been turned upside down by a technical issue.  Since I'm self-employed I really don't have the time to deal with any of this.

Thanks for listening...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Thanks, I appreciate it. I fully understand about being self-employed as well...I am the same, with the profit margins over the last several months being negative.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
slh1078

Good luck getting back to black!
BTW what was that one optional setting? Maybe that's where I need to start.
Please use plain text.