Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Developer
LuigiWriter
My Device: 8520 Edge

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

I am trying to parse your instructions so I can reinstall version six without worrying about syncing with anything.  Just export to "csv" files.   If you could note any steps I can skip or should add.  

One.  The information on my phone is correct and I want to keep it rather than restoring.

Your note about the desktop software wanting to upgrade the phone software makes me wonder:

- If 7 did upgrade the phone software.

- If it did, is the phone software compatible with version 6 of the desk software.

However my latest backups are in the *.bbb file format, not the older format. That could screw the works if the phone software is not backwards compatible and all I have is .bbb files to restore with.

The file conversion software packages, trials are all limited in the number of rows, so it is buy it or else.

I plan on moving the .bbb files to another location.

I have uninstalled version 7

I intend to use cclean to remove any straggler references to non existent files.

I did leave my setting file, which I am now not to comfortable with

I always save my install files and run the install from the saved file when allowed to do so, so I have my carrier's original version 6.1 install file.

I was always a hardware man, physics basically, software is chemistry to me, so I would appreciate a casual appraisal of a software chemist for the dangers and possibilities for avoiding them before I down this pill and continue towards reinstalling version 6.

Why am I not just paying the money for Lotus Notes?

I am trying to get back to version six so I can send my organizer files to *.csv files.  I and my wife are disabled with medically caused debts and limited income. So OpenOffice Calc is the only way I can edit and print anything since RIMs desktop software is too puny to offer a way to print from a connected phone.  RIM also removed the export to csv feature with version 7.  ABC sold their conversion freeware to a third party who is charging a bundle for something they didn't have to create from scratch.  This leaves anyone on limited income and resources in the cold.

LugiWriter: There are 4 rules to writing a Novel, unfortunately no one knows what they are. [sic]
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cwils02
My Device: Bold 9930 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)
My Carrier: Sprint

You may not know anything about Chemsitry, but you ask some very good questions.  If and when you find answers whether on here, or elsewhere, I would love for you to post what you find out.

I have degrees in Math, Chemistry, and Physics, (plus I have been involvved with computers since 1961 as programmer, systems analyst, network adminitrator, etc.) but I have not been able to reinstall v6 successfully after many attempts.  Does anyone have a clue why RIMM dumped Intelisync???

Luckily, I have version 6 on my laptop.  But getting info back and forth between my main PC & my laptop is a real hassle.  I have to make sure that the laptop has all my latest.contact & calendar info before I can sync my Bold to the laptop.  My Bold has an update waiting, but I am in no way going to install it.

As soon as I find a GOOD way to sync my Outlook on both computers on a cell phone where I can use an additional battery, I'm out of here.  Now exploring using IMAP on DROID solution.

Good luck & sorry about your health issues.

Please use plain text.
fischerj72
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

sdgardne wrote:

Update...for those "worst case" scenarios where 7.x just will not work, older versions can be found here:

Good luck!

The version 6.1 download on the page this link takes you to has viruses in it!

Please use plain text.
fischerj72
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

cwils02 wrote:

The main reason that I have stayed with BBs since departing the corporate world "was" the great way that it synced with my Outlook. (& the keyboard).  Take away the syncing, and I'm having a real problem finding a good reason to stick with BB.

I completely agree.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi...sorry it's taken me a while to reply in this thread...

LuigiWriter wrote:

One.  The information on my phone is correct and I want to keep it rather than restoring.

The instructions provided are not intended to change anything on your BB...unless you "opt" in for step 8. Or, if you happen to install to your PC, via step 4, a BB OS package that is different than your BB is presently running, then the Desktop Software might well offer to load that onto your BB...but you should be able to skip that. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you may go different routes.

1. If you want simply to ensure that the Desktop Software can properly interface with your BB as it is now, then you must install, in step 4, the exact BB OS package that your BB is presently running.
  2. If you want to use the Desktop Software to update your BB OS to a specific version, then you would choose that version in step 4, and the Desktop Software will dutifully offer to install that to your BB. It does include the ability to backup/restore your BB as part of the process, and you should never bypass that.

LuigiWriter wrote:

Your note about the desktop software wanting to upgrade the phone software makes me wonder:

I'm not positive what "note" you are referring to, but see what I just wrote above...

LuigiWriter wrote:

- If 7 did upgrade the phone software.

- If it did, is the phone software compatible with version 6 of the desk software.

The BB OS and the Desktop Software versions are not linked. Technically, you should be able to run the most current Desktop Software with ANY BB OS level at all. Likewise, you should be able to run an older level of the Desktop Software (e.g., 6) with a newer version of the BB OS (e.g., 7). The BB OS package does some modifications to the Desktop Software installation, and causes it (the desktop software) to bypass it's automated methods of trying to match up your BB/OS level to what your carrier supports...lacking a properly installed and compatible BB OS package, the desktop software checks the Internet for your carriers OS packages for your specific BB model...having a compatible BB OS package installed to your PC causes that check to be bypassed in favor of the BB OS package that is installed to the PC.

LuigiWriter wrote:

However my latest backups are in the *.bbb file format, not the older format. That could screw the works if the phone software is not backwards compatible and all I have is .bbb files to restore with.

That is correct...the backup file format indeed changed, and you must use a version of the Desktop Software that is compatible with the format you have when you attempt a restore.

LuigiWriter wrote:

I have uninstalled version 7

I intend to use cclean to remove any straggler references to non existent files.

I did leave my setting file, which I am now not to comfortable with

I always save my install files and run the install from the saved file when allowed to do so, so I have my carrier's original version 6.1 install file.

This sounds reasonable. You can keep the downloaded installation files forever...your computer will completely ignore them unless and until they are actually installed to the Windows OS.

LuigiWriter wrote:

Why am I not just paying the money for Lotus Notes?

I don't understand the question...

LuigiWriter wrote:

I am trying to get back to version six so I can send my organizer files to *.csv files.  I and my wife are disabled with medically caused debts and limited income. So OpenOffice Calc is the only way I can edit and print anything since RIMs desktop software is too puny to offer a way to print from a connected phone.  RIM also removed the export to csv feature with version 7.  ABC sold their conversion freeware to a third party who is charging a bundle for something they didn't have to create from scratch.  This leaves anyone on limited income and resources in the cold. 

Yes, that is a sad reality...but a reality nonetheless.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

fischerj72 wrote:

sdgardne wrote:

Update...for those "worst case" scenarios where 7.x just will not work, older versions can be found here:

Good luck!

Pity...here's another source:

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
navigator303
My Device: Blackberry Q5 sqr 100-2
My Carrier: utility warehouse

upgrading is never easy!

However I am told that by the system that bundle 47 in the desktop pc was issued 25th August 2010 and is the latest version

I am NOW windows 8 with a Blackberry Curve 8900 device swr 5.0.0.681. The problems flagged up in other posts are that the desktop manager does not connect to the mobile.

So before getting all bitter and twisted doing the steps recommended DOES the re-installation work with windows 8

Should I re-install the Blackbery user tools from the CD? Has that be revised in the last 2 years?

I use gmail as a my email service. I get emails and contact details without problems, SO FAR!

Cheers All Mind how U go

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

navigator303 wrote:

upgrading is never easy!

However I am told that by the system that bundle 47 in the desktop pc was issued 25th August 2010 and is the latest version

Of the Desktop Software? No...that is not the latest. You always should verify via the official download portal:

navigator303 wrote:

So before getting all bitter and twisted doing the steps recommended DOES the re-installation work with windows 8

I have no idea. I have no Win8 machine on which to test them. I can say that the steps work up through Win7. But I have heard from others that, with Win8, the folders are nearly identical to those documented as part of this process...though one user had to do quite a bit of digging to truly uncover the two locations for VENDOR.XML.

navigator303 wrote:

Should I re-install the Blackbery user tools from the CD?

Depending on how old that is, perhaps not. From all I understand, only the latest version (available via the download portal linked above) can be run with Win8.

navigator303 wrote:

Has that be revised in the last 2 years?

Considerably. Whatever you are looking at to tell you the latest version has been giving you false information.

navigator303 wrote:

I use gmail as a my email service. I get emails and contact details without problems, SO FAR!

Well, if you are getting both of those OTA, then the Desktop Software plays no part anyway...

Note carefully that there is no version of the Desktop Software that is certified as compatible with Win8. To date, the latest Windows version that is certified is Win7. There are users on this site who have had luck with the latest Desktop Software and Win8. There are others who have not had luck. You should search for their posts and read what is going on with them. Officially, there is no support for Win8 and the Desktop Software, so results cannot be predicted and will likely be quite variable.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gustele
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: UTS Curaçao

fischerj72 wrote:

sdgardne wrote:

Good luck!

Just to inform everyone. I downloaded from this link yesterday (February 7, 2013) and checked the downloaded file with three different antivirus programs. No infection. I used the file and was finally able to get the synchronization working again. Version 7.1 of the desktop software didn't work for me, whatever I tried (tried clean install after complete uninstall); Version 6.1 works perfectly.

Thanks for the link and pointing me to this solution.

Please use plain text.
lewhofmeyr
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

Please tell me how to fix the sync error "Redemption not installed". To be honest i think it is RIDICULOUS to go through so many steps and it still odes not work. BB must give a solution, I pay big money to support BB and this is the errors i receive? what is the reason for this? what do i do to fix this? i am trying to sync my contacts with Outlook. it worked perfectly and i did not change anything and this error just popped up.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.