Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
nevillegill
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)

i am afraid i have given up..... wasted 1.5 days on reloading 3 times so bye bye blackberry why my contract changes

thanks for all you help..... off to Android land

thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

nevillegill wrote:

i am afraid i have given up..... wasted 1.5 days on reloading 3 times so bye bye blackberry why my contract changes

thanks for all you help..... off to Android land

thanks

The best of luck to you! Droids are very very different from BBs (I actually have one!).

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kimmac
My Device: Not Specified

Oh how I agree with you - if only I had the sense NOT to install the upgrade. I should have known from past experience that they just cause problems. I've now wasted even more interminable hours and still I can't sync. Drives me crazy. At least a problem shared etc.......

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
urielf
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Hi,

I followed your instructions, and - it worked.

Solved the problem.

Thanks a lot for the detailed instructions.

Uriel

:Tt2:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sheberry
My Device: Not Specified

sdgardne wrote:

cwils02 wrote:

Per the data that you provided for starting over:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB03315&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

At the bottom of the page, it references Desktop 7.1

Oh that is interesting indeed! It would seem that RIM may have a typo in that particular KB (that happens quite a lot, sadly!). Or, it makes one wonder if they are "planning ahead" with the KBs (typically, they are "running behind")! Nevertheless, the official download portal only provides 7.0:

So, anyone who actually has a 7.1 Desktop Software version has obtained it from other than the official source for the production release of the software. The governing data point will be what the person has installed on their specific system.

sdgardne wrote:

cwils02 wrote:

Per the data that you provided for starting over:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB03315&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

At the bottom of the page, it references Desktop 7.1

Oh that is interesting indeed! It would seem that RIM may have a typo in that particular KB (that happens quite a lot, sadly!). Or, it makes one wonder if they are "planning ahead" with the KBs (typically, they are "running behind")! Nevertheless, the official download portal only provides 7.0:

So, anyone who actually has a 7.1 Desktop Software version has obtained it from other than the official source for the production release of the software. The governing data point will be what the person has installed on their specific system.

"Oh that is interesting indeed! It would seem that RIM may have a typo in that particular KB (that happens quite a lot, sadly!). Or, it makes one wonder if they are "planning ahead" with the KBs (typically, they are "running behind")! Nevertheless, the official download portal only provides 7.0:

So, anyone who actually has a 7.1 Desktop Software version has obtained it from other than the official source for the production release of the software. The governing data point will be what the person has installed on their specific system."

Well, I bought a new computer 2 days ago (July 29) with a brand new Outlook, and was hoping to load it from my Blackberry.  I downloaded what I thought, or what was presented to me as 7.0, and labled so on/from the Blackberry.com site.  It installed though as 7.1.0.32.  I note that this forum topic up until this post I am replying to had discussed the exact problem I encountered today when I tried to sync and got toatlly stymied.  It's frustrating to see a Rim KB article on the exact problem I am having and the exact error message I receive (CRTranRec: Getlinkdid Record id: invlaid linked record id) that says:

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

and was last modified on July 12th. It is more than two weeks since Rim posted that. It's not quite right that they haven't resolved it in all that time and still allow people to download it!

I don't want to go through all that hassle at the beginning of a brand new computer. I have a lot of other stuff to do but can't do it all without my contacts, calendar and notes.

I have an older version on my old computer.  Can I pick it up from there somehow?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
urielf
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

This is so terribly frustrated!

I fixed the problem 2 weeks ago, following the long procedure specified here, and got back on track.

And the day before yesterday, suddenly, the BB Desktop downloaded and installed a BB update [which I naively thought is going to be a fix for the above problem], and here came the problem back, deleting all my calendar past entries from both the device and Outlook..

After I recovered the history from a backup, the device won't synchronize, giving the same error message as reported previously.

I wonder whether iPhone is the answer to all these BB problems...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

sheberry wrote:

Well, I bought a new computer 2 days ago (July 29) with a brand new Outlook, and was hoping to load it from my Blackberry.  I downloaded what I thought, or what was presented to me as 7.0, and labled so on/from the Blackberry.com site.  It installed though as 7.1.0.32.  

In the intervening period while this thread has been alive, RIM released Desktop Software 7.1.0.32. I do not recall the day that released, but to my recollection it was after the posts you quoted.

sheberry wrote:
It's frustrating to see a Rim KB article on the exact problem I am having and the exact error message I receive (CRTranRec: Getlinkdid Record id: invlaid linked record id) that says:

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

and was last modified on July 12th. It is more than two weeks since Rim posted that. It's not quite right that they haven't resolved it in all that time and still allow people to download it!

I've seen RIM KBs stay in that state for much longer than this. We have no insight into the internal workings at RIM to work on, resolve, and publish updates.

sheberry wrote:

I have an older version on my old computer.  Can I pick it up from there somehow?

You can also find older versions of the Desktop Software via a link in Post 15 of this thread.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cwils02
My Device: Bold 9930 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)
My Carrier: Sprint

I wish I didn't know what you are going through.  Be sure to turn the auto update off on your desktop software.

If you haven't already emptied the Deleted Items folder in Outlook, you may be able to restore the deleted calendar entries in Outlook.

I don't know how to restore them on the device unless you can sync.  Oh, wait a minute, that's what caused the problem.

Charlie

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cwils02
My Device: Bold 9930 (v7.1.0.267, Platform 5.1.0.230)
My Carrier: Sprint

@sheberry

If you want to install an old version:
1) First you must do a very clean uninstall.  I have had problems trying to do that.

2a) You can get an old version from post #15.  You should download it in any case for possible future use if it isn't your first method.

2b) If your device came with a CD/DVD with desktop software on it, you might want to install that first until you have had a chance to do a sync sucessfully.  Then just update the desktop software with the software downloaded in 2a above.

Unfortunately, my Bold did not come with any included software, but I had the dowloaded software that I used before version 7.0 trashed me.  I still can't get it to work right.  My only alternative is to 1st export calendar & contacts to a pst file & then import them into Outlook on another computer where I sync with my Bold.  Then I export from that computer and import back to the PC wth the trashed Desktop software.

Charlie

Please use plain text.