Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE
My Device: 8900 Curve

Re: Desktop Manager 6.0 Crashing - Still not working!

Many thanks TexasBlueboy, You are a lucky one!

Not sure if I should be happy or sad about that ... happy for you, happy that this confirms a definite a Windows 7 Outook 2010 issue (so it ain't  just me!)....  but sad that there is still no fix in sight ... and even sadder that RIM seem to have abandoned us entirely!

I have spent an entire 2 days, and since a good couple of hours a day, for a week now, reading this blog and patiently and accurately trying all the options that anyone would recommend - to no avail.

Many others have completely given up....  And yes,  I am angry.   I need to find an alternative supplier.

I have been blackberry user for ever ... and stuck to it... so know little about all the other options ... any suggestions from anyone a the best alternative to Blackberry ?  iPhone or HTC ?

I guess I suffer from a "fat finger" syndrome and so tend to prefer hard keyboard to softkeyboard.... but  not if it means I can no longer use it and synchronise with Outlook!

I wish someone at RIM  would at least acknowledge the issue and tell us they are working on a fix!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
landarcht
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Desktop Manager 6.0 Crashing

Same here, crashed after installing to DM 6.

Same screen that the computer states " program stopped working, close or search internet for solution."

Here's that I captured in the detail box:

Problem Event Name:                          APPCRASH

Application Name:                             Rim.Desktop.exe

Application Version:                           6.0.0.40

Application Timestamp:                     4c58acef

Fault Module Name:                          StackHash_1703

Fault Module Version:                        0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:                  00000000

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                1316a8ed

OS Version:                                          6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  1703

Additional Information 2:                  2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9

Additional Information 3:                  1344

Additional Information 4:  875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

I tried going back to the previous version 5.01 and it even crashed my computer, what's going on? I have to synch my BB....is there anyway to do this? Can I call BB support?  Someone from the support needs to resolve this issue ASAP.

landarcht

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kelvinng
My Device: Not Specified

mee too having same problem, DM6 stop responding; extracted some  from desktop.log;

00:19:25.951|FATAL|1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|0|Fatal Application Error
System.InvalidOperationException: An unspecified error occurred on the render thread.
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyPartitionIsZombie(Int32 failureCode)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run()
   at Rim.Desktop.Shell.App.Main()
00:19:25.951|FATAL|1|Exception|0|Fatal Error
System.InvalidOperationException: An unspecified error occurred on the render thread.
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyPartitionIsZombie(Int32 failureCode)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run()
   at Rim.Desktop.Shell.App.Main()

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cplush
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

ok guys, im running outlook 2007 and getting the same problem. my log says it faults from 'insufficient system memory'. windows pro 7, outlook 2007, nokia booklet 3g 1 gig ram, its faulting with half a gig of open ram...makes no sense
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LuidySPBR
My Device: 8350i
My Carrier: Nextel

i´m having the same problem. In mys Desktop Computer (Win XP PRO SP3, 1.5gb ram) the DM6 install but when call the program it send a message tha occurs an error and close. In this case i return the 5.01 version.

i install DM 6 in my notebook with Vista Home Basic  3gb ram. Install its OK, call the program and it works fine but some time after he program is loaded and running the windows take a blue screen and reboot the machine. This occurs some times independ if you in the DM or on another program, only the fact it is minimized the Windows crash. The solution is back to 5.01 version and the machine is stable now.

In both machines i using Office 2007.

I HOPE tha RIM find quickly a solution.

Thanks for all

Luis Claudio

P.S. Writen from São Paulo / Brasil

Luís Cláudio
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cplush

ok, a developer posted on page 7 that it seems they are unable to reporduce the issue and that it is a hardware specific issue that revolves around the windows OS. i wouldn't look for an answer or a solution anytime soon, i guess this is what you get for having a 6 day limited beta program. maybe a little more thoroughness next time RIM?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
UNBELIEVABLE
My Device: 8900 Curve

Yep! That's it exactly.     I really wish I could help....

I am using Windows 7 32bit with Outlook 2010... you're the first to report the memory problem with an Outlook 7 config.  So it looks like that may be more a Windows 7 compatibility issue.

I tried absolutely everything.... but I also posted the issue on my ISP blog... and one guy there suggested this may be an issue to do with Java compatibility.    I recently updated to  the latest Sun/Oracle Java, that is version 6 Update 21 (Build 1.6.0_21-b07) .... what is your version ?  if you go Control Panel and click on Programs you should see the Java icon.

just exploring because I am really running out of ideas... !

AND JUST IN CASE RIM decide to help, rather than remain impassive, indifferent and silent, I am also attaching a crashdump file which I found in C:\users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Research In Motion\Blackberry Desktop\

In the meantime, here is a recap of all the stuff that people have been trying  ... and it worked for some... sadly not for me!

FIRST find the RIM log file created the last time you tried to launch DM6.     Depending on the computer the RIM log file can  be in different places.  Can be in  C:\users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Research In Motion\Blackberry Desktop\Logs if not then try %appdata%\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Logs\Desktop.log

SECOND, VIDEO and PICTURE FOLDER - if the file shows a FATAL error that  speaks of not being able to find the right Video or Picture Directory path, if so create the right path and move your video and picture folder in it.  RIM say they the program is looking for :  C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Videos\BlackBerry  and  C:\Users\Mark\Documents\My Pictures\BlackBerry
or whatever path is referred to in your log file.

THIRD UNINSTALL - make sure you un-install any prior release of DM using the appropriate clean uninstall procedure (How to Perforn a Clean Uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software KB02206).   Even then, there may be some files left, so look into Program Files and Program Data for any Research in Motion directory and delete it!

FOUR TURN HW ACCELERATION OFF, AND/OR REPAIR .NET Framework 3.5, and/or update your video drivers...

Instructions to turn off HW acceleration are in Turn Off Accel

To repair the Microsoft .Net 3.5 Framework installation on your computer go to Control Panel and UNinstall/Repair Programs.   (Note - My Laptop is actually running .Net Framework 4 .... this could also be an issue, no instructions on how to downgrade to 3.5)....

FIVE REINSTALL D6, REBOOT and try again!   

If it still does not work, check the log file again.   When I did this I had only one FATA error message then that spoke of an OUT OF MEMORY exeception, but like you I run a BRAND NEW DESKTOP, I was running nothing else at the time, and I even launched Task manager to monitor memory whilst trying to launch DM... a slight peak when you click on DM, but nothing worth worrying about!

The last suggestions posted on this blog in the past are to go into the registry and modify the following registry key (since no one explained the purpose of this manipulation so not sure if these should be tested one by one in isolation, or implemented all together or what... I had fun trying all of the above with no result!.. )

FINALLY modify the registry, go to start button, and type regedit in the search bar.

Look for the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerryTranscoder\

If you cannot find it try: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Research In Motion\BlackBerryTranscoder

click on the key and in the right hand window, right click your mouse, to create/add a DWORD, with the name SkipSupportCheck (DWORD) to a value of ‘1’"

No idea why this is supposed to help, but that was an early suggestion from RIM.... didn't do it for me! .... Maybe reboot before trying again.  

ADVICE, if none of the above works, uninstall everything and go back to the registry to delete manually anything you added if still there, at least you will have a clean PC and can you reinstall DM 5.01.... at least the latter works and does synchronise with Outlook 2007 it seems.  but tough luck if like me you are on Outlook 2010.

Since RIM has been so quiet (although I am sure they know what is going on in this forum)... they have NOT ACKNOWLEDGED the issue, have NOT REASSURED anyone that they were working on it! ..... At a minimum they should review the above and TELL US what these REGEDIT actions are meant to cure ... and if they do nothing .... at least tell us not to bother! 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
badoil_49
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: US Cellular

a different look..

Is there anyone that went to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0 and had it work right off the bat without having any troubles?

What kind of setup did you have?

I know it's especially farfetched because if they had any problems, the wouldn't necesarilly be checking the forums, but perhaps if someone had a friend that has it working... maybe we could make a bit of progress that way?

I'm a huge fan of using Blackberry, but I share my frustrations with the fact that we haven't heard anything from them referring to what's going on. I mean, ARE you guys working on it? At least let us know so we could have a little peace of mind...

Hope to hear something soon!

Until then,

Maurice

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cplush

Re: a different look..

it worked for me right off the bat on my work pc (thank god...) but vie been unable to get it to work on my personal pc....my work pc is a HP with xp sp3, outlook 2007, almost no media files and 2 gigs RAM. my home pc is win 7 pro, outlook 7, tons of media files and 1 gig ram
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
parlabane
My Device: Not Specified

Re: a different look..

I thought they were pretty clear here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-6-0-Crashing/m-p/...

That they were looking at the problem.

I know it sucks, but as a developer myself, I know that some problems can't be fixed immediatly.  It's very hard to fix things when the errors are strange and can't be reproduced.  I give them the benefit of the doubt that they're working on it.

They have acknowledged the problems and said they're trying to fix them - and that any data that people can offer here is helpful.

Please use plain text.