Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Capital_D
My Device: Bold 9870
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager 'Connecting' infinitely...

Greetings everyone,

I have been a BB user for sometime through my workplace and so when it came time to own a personal device I naturally gravitated towards Blackberry. I now own a 9870 and can say that it is a slick device, and had no trouble with any of the setup of the device itself. 

My woes began when I installed the Desktop Manager on my home PC. I got the latest version of the desktop manager v6.0.2 B45 and installed it. I then proceeded to connect my device (selecting Charge only, which the information says it the correct setting for Desktop manager though I have also tried the others Media Sync and USB Mode), which BB Device Manager detected correctly, after the drivers installed themselves, and could see the PIN number and a 'Connected' time counting up.

Desktop manager launches, without error, and shows the green USB icon beside the name of the device. In the lower right hand corner of the software, it says 'Connecting' with a green activity wheel spinning, albeit slowly. It remains in that state indefinitely. (At the end of my ordeal I left it over night and awoke 5 hours later to find in in the same state with device manager showing it having been connected the whole time)

I have tried reinstalling the desktop software, rebooting, doing battery pulls, turning off power management for the USB port (A direct port on the PC, not a hub), trying other ports on the PC, running compatibility mode for the Desktop Software, forcing it to 'Run As Administrator'. I have probably forgotten some of the things I've tried as I spent many hours grinding this.

I KNOW the device is functional as is the cable as I have been able to connect it to my work laptop and it works perfectly as does my work Blackberry. I hoping that I have missed some minor detail or neglected some obvious setting like 'turn good mode ON' as I simply cannot think what else the problem could be.

I'm throwing myself at your mercy as I just don't know what else to try to resolve this issue. Any help would be appreciated!

For reference sake, my PC specs are:

Windows 7 64-bit, Home

4 GB DDR3

Intel I7 860

(Plenty of free HD space)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Capital_D

Re: Desktop Manager 'Connecting' infinitely...

Am I the only one sufffering from this?

I tried using desktop manager 5 but got the same results, so I'm thinking it might be something with the way Windows 7 interacts with the software through USB. I thinking of getting a Bluetooth adapter for my PC to see if it can connect though that..... Has anyone had sucess using a Bluetooth connection to sync and backup their BB on Windows 7?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Capital_D

I'm not sure if I did something wrong in posting my topic and thus it was neglected or if there is simply no one who has encountered this problem. I know their must be some people who use Bluetooth to sync their devices, and help on that would have been great.

For posterity sake, I bought an ASUS BT211 adapter and installed it using the chipset manufacturer's drivers, (Atheros) so that Windows could use it's native BT stack and be detected by the Device Manager.  I was able to pair it using this method and the desktop manager IMMEDIATELY detected the connection and allowed me to sync and backup the device.

On a whim, I connected the USB cable I had had so much difficulty with and noted with some degree of elation that it detected and connected nearly instantaneously. I disconnected BT and can now connect and sync with USB without any trouble whatsoever.

I don't know what the precise problem was, but there was clearly something  in the initialization process that was not working though USB what was not encountered through BT, and now that it is past that point, no longer hangs there.

Hopefully this information will be useful to some tortured soul who comes across it, or perhaps some RIM QA personnel, as I was unable to benefit from any other experiences.

Good Luck!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
delia000
My Device: Curve 8520 Smartphone
My Carrier: Vodacom

Please use plain text.