Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
prot0fein
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

Desktop Manager not detecting BB via USB

Ok I have an issue... this never happened before, but its really annoying now lol

I hope someone out there has had a similar problem... the friggen answer is probably staring me right in the face, but i'm just missing it.

Anyways only my Blackberry Desktop Software will not detect my Curve 8900 via my USB cable on WIndows Vista 64-bit.  When the cable is plugged in, the phone charges, I am able to access my memory card that I have in the phone within Windows without a problem.  Its just the Desktop Manager will not find the phone via USB.

The phone works fine connecting to Desktop Manager using Bluetooth.  I can sync up no problem there.  Its just the Desktop Manager will not find the phone via USB.

Nothing appears in my Event Viewer, I get no error messages.  The same phone, with the same USB cable works just fine on a Windows XP computer.  Hell, it even works on the same computer, within a VMWare environment using the same USB port tried on the Windows Vista installation.

Does this make sense to anybody out there? lol

Let me list you my specs to make this clear

Operating System: Windows Vista Business 64-bit

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810

RAM: 8GB

etc..

etc.. lol

Desktop Manager Version 4.7.0.37 [Mar 18 2009]

Device Communications

Blackberry Device Manager - 4.3.1.15

BBDevMgr - 4.1.0.5

RIM USB Driver - 4.1.0.4

RIM USB Serial Driver - 2.1.0.4

Application Loader

Application Loader - 4.7.0.58

RIMProgram - 1.0.0.35

Blackberry Smartphone [located in Device Manager within Universal Serial Bus controllers]

Driver Date: 4/16/2008

Driver Version: 4.1.0.4

Did ya miss me??
Please use plain text.
Visitor
jerseyjunky
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Desktop Manager not detecting BB via USB

I had this same problem about 3 weeks ago.

I had to uninstall the existing Desktop Manager and reinstall the latest version.

Once I'd done that everything worked perfectly and I haven't had a problem since.

I know it's a pain, but I'd have to think this will fix your problem.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Fleury75

Ive been searching everywhere for this answer. I have a Curve 8330. Desktop Manager worked perfect for a few days, then all of a sudden it doesnt work. Symptoms:

BB Desktop Manager:

-shows "NONE" beside "Device PIN"

-shows connection is set to USB

-all options greyed out except APP Loader, which asks to selcet a device (none listed)

BB Device Manager: 

-shows BB connected w/proper PIN

-will not reset session

BB Screen:

-shows BB is charging

-on connection asks if you want to use as a mass storage etc

USB:

-detects smartphone

-is not using power saving modes

-detects mass storage

-no (!)

Im finally tring a cleeeeaan uninstall and reinstalling the new Desktop 5.0......

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Fleury75

Yay -

It appears a clean uninstall of Desktop Manager and then installation of the new 5.0 worked!

1. Close all Blackberry Software

2. Add/Remove Desktop Manager (and MediaSync if you have it installed seperate)

3. Delete registry folders (type REGEDIT in the smartsearch field)

-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research in Motion

-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research in Motion

4. Delete Research In Motion Folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files and from C:\Program Files\

5. Delete Research in Motion Files from C:/Users/username/appdata (if it's in there, most likely it wont be. If you cant see APPDATA, make sure you are viewing hidden files)

6. Copy paste this poste and save it in notepad because you need to reboot and do another step

7. Reboot

8. Register atl.dll by typing CMD in the Start Menu smart search bar, then typing regsvr32 atl.dll at the blinking cursor. Press Enter.

9. Reboot one more time, d/l the new desktop manager, install, enjoy.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gloria51474
My Device: Curve 8330

Can You Help Me TOO?? Re: Desktop Manager not detecting BB via USB

Hi there, could you tell me the difference between just an uninstall and a CLEAN uninstall?  That might be why I'm having trouble as well with Desktop Manager.  I was having the same prob as yours-recognized device one day then BAM-stopped recognizing it!  I uninstalled more than once and reinstalled latest version but that did not work.  So maybe I need a CLEAN uninstall?

Thanks a million!

Gloria

Blackberry 8330

VZ

Warmest regards,
Gloria
BB Curve 8330
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can You Help Me TOO?? Re: Desktop Manager not detecting BB via USB

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

An uninstall would be a normal uninstall via Windows Control Panel. A clean uninstall incorporates other steps...documented here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
prot0fein

ARGH so much frustration.  I'm almost to the point where i'm just going to format my PC lol.  This worked before... maybe i've installed something thats screwing things up.  I'm so out of ideas at this point

Fleury75: I tried all the steps you mentioned in your post... but it still doesn't detect my phone via USB... BALLS lol

Thx for the ideas... i'll just deal with using my USB cable @ work until I get around to re-building my 'puter.

I'm not sure there is anything left for me to try.

ARGH lol

Did ya miss me??
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gloria51474
My Device: Curve 8330

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies and advice.  I tried clean uninstall but it didn't work for me either.  I'm at a loss so I'm going to Verizon tomorrow to let a technician look at it.  I'll let you know what he/she comes up with!

Gloria

Warmest regards,
Gloria
BB Curve 8330
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
prot0fein

FINALLY I have found a solution to my problem

This worked perfectly for me, and oddly enough it was a fix for VMWare (also having trouble detecting USB devices)

Try right clicking on one of the USB hubs (in device manager) and looking at the driver details. If usbfilter.sys is listed then open your Registry Editor, and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and delete the UpperFilter, usbfilter pair.

I rebooted after making this change, and it works great now.  Its the first time in months that I've been able to plug my Curve 8900 using my USB cable into my Windows Vista (now Windows 7) 64-bit PC.

KUDO's to the VMWare people for finding this solution.  Thank god it also fixed my BB Desktop Manager!! WOOT WOOT!!

Here is a link where I found this solution

http://bx.businessweek.com/consumer-arbitration/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunities.vmware.com%2Fmessa...

Merry Christmas everyone :smileyhappy:

Did ya miss me??
Please use plain text.