Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Desktop Software -> Organizer -> Contacts greyed out

OTA = Over The Air, as in wireless, via either your carrier data network or Wifi, synchronizing your contacts on your device with some server somewhere. If OTA sync is configured on the device, then the Desktop Software USB sync is defeated.

Hunter_Family wrote:

I will try to check "OTA sync for Contacts configured on your BB".  To be honest I am very poor with Blackberry and chosing when I press the button in the middle, when I press the menu button and when I'm supposed to find some other options setting.

I don't know what OTA means.  Partly I dont' know what keys to press to do what you are telling me to do.

Thank you for finally saying all of that...from all of your prior posts, I gathered that you were well experienced with how the BB functions, and therefore I did not give you additional details. now that I understand that you are not well experienced, I can give you more details. In this type of relationship, it is always challenging to understand the capabilities of the other person...and the risk is great...give an expert detailed advice, and they become offended...give a novice little advice, and they become frustrated. Only when we truly know the experience level of the other can we hope to provide guidance at a level that will not result in either of those conditions. From your prior posts, I gather that your device is running OS5, but please simply validate that for me so that I can provide the correct instructions:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of the operating system on a BlackBerry smartphone

Of course, please also verify for me that you even wish to continue...you've said a few times that you are done with BB, so spending my time to provide you with instructions you don't even want to use isn't time well spent.

Hunter_Family wrote:

I have read posts and many refer to an "Address Book".  I don't have an address book on the BB or my PC.  Contacts.

The two terms are interchangeable. The mean the same thing. At one point in the past it was called Address Book, at another time it was called Contacts, but they are the same thing.

Hunter_Family wrote:

On the BB if I move the "cursor" to Contacts in press the middle button, I get a screen that says: Find: then New Contact: on the next line, then * No Contacts * on the third.

If I press the menu button when contacts selected then it jumps to an icon list of all menu icons, effectively moving off contacts. 

When I have the cursor on contacts, then press the middle button, THEN press menu, then select options. then select the third line (Default), it says Wireless Sychorization, not available.  Then it says Number of Entries: 377.  That is probably my contact list that it says it doesn't have.

I'm not quite sure I'm following all of that, but after you reply with your OS version and confirmation that you actually do want to continue, I'll fire up a Simulator and give you screen shots of the two places you need to check. From what you say there, it sounds like you've checked one of the places...but, since I kept saying "BOTH" every time I referred to this setting, there are indeed two places to check.

Let me know the answers to my two questions and I'll proceed accordingly.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hunter_Family
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Koodo

Re: Desktop Software -> Organizer -> Contacts greyed out

Thank you so much for trying to help.  I know you've pointed out that the issue is not simple ... but that is the problem ... it really should be.  I'm a strong PC user, but that doesn't seem to translate into a strong BB OS user.  I've simply replaced our two Blackberrys with an iPhone and a Samsung. 

Problem solved.  :smileywink:

I hope BB does better private than public.  Consider having a person to talk to.

Please use plain text.