If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Podgana1
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Mobitel

Desktop software stops synchronising Outlook Address Book

I deleted my BB Bold 9700 Address Book and tried to reload my 3007 Outlook contacts. Everything runs fine till it repeatedly gets stuck at "Updating Blackberry Address Book Data", always at 97th entry out of 3007. At this point I can't even exit the application and need to use the Task Manager to stop it which requests a rebboot of the BB in order to get reconnected. The BB SW is up to date, OS on computer is Win 7/64 Does somebody have a clue?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Desktop software stops synchronising Outlook Address Book

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Normally, that means that there is a bad record for some reason...the 97th (or thereabouts) record has some sort of problem. Finding the record, though, is a challenge indeed!

I've not had to do so, but I've read that if you export from Outlook to CSV, the data will be in the same order that the synchronization uses...which may help you find the offending record.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Podgana1

Hi, thx. I'll have a try later and come back if that proves to be a solution.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Podgana1

- exporting to CSV doesn't help as it is a useless mess - restoring the latest version of the BB Address Book brings everything back - I tried to delete 2 Outlook Address Book entries which for some reason didn't synchronize with BB only to get stuck at entry 93 (entry 94 before) - any other clue?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Podgana1 wrote:
- exporting to CSV doesn't help as it is a useless mess

Really? When I export, I get a nice columnar list of all of my contact fields. Sadly though, when I ran a test, they were in whatever sort order I happened to have my contacts by in Outlook...so it may not be useful to your situation.

Podgana1 wrote:
any other clue?

The real challenge is that you have no error message...so we're simply shooting in the dark here. I don't know if this exists in the latest Desktop Software version, but it might be useful:

• KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Podgana1

My CSV file was even garbled... :Wacko: I'' try your last recommended approach after returning from the last business trip this year and come back with a report next week.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Podgana1 wrote:

My CSV file was even garbled...

That might actually indicate that there is something wrong with your Outlook installation...for which support would be needed elsewhere (perhaps reinstalling Outlook itself?). Further, if that suspicion is correct, it could actually be the root cause of all of these issues.

Good luck !

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.