Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
moviefreak
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Sprint

Device manager error when trying to load applications

I've been using the Desktop Manager successfully for several years with my old 8703e.  I finally upgraded to a Style 9670, and updated the Desktop Manager to v6.0.2.44.  It syncs fine with the phone.  However, when I go to work with apps, the DM tells me "The Application Loader Wizard requires the Blackberry Device Manager to be installed.  Please contact customer support."  I have rebooted, repaired, and done a full uninstall and reinstall of the DM, but the same error keeps coming up.  I have worked on this all night, and am wondering if I need to return teh phone and opt for an Android.  Can anyone help me, please?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device manager error when trying to load applications

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is a KB that discusses that error:

• KB19072"The application loader wizard requires the BlackBerry Device Manager to be installed. Please contact customer support" appears when an action is performed on the BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully it contains something useful!

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moviefreak

Thank you ... that did not help, but I did another clean uninstall and installed the Desktop Mgr AGAIN, and I thought I had it this time ... but NOW, when I plug in my phone via USB, the computer and the DM do not even see it!  Tried looking for new drivers, but it tells me teh best ones are already installed.

What is up with all these issues?  I have spent two preciaous days now just trying to make this work right...any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm going to try to reboot everything again.  SIGH!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Here is the list of troubleshooting articles...hopefully something will be useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB00125BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer
KB16310 Media Transfer Protocol and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-quot-disconnected...

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Also check on conflicting software...it has been reported that the software package NTI Shadow&Ninja can cause a conflict; removing them and reinstalling the BB desktop software allows it to install correctly.

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these. Also apologies if any are not presently available...RIM takes them up and down at will as they revise things.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moviefreak

Thnaks for sending this.  Unfotunately some files were not available, as you mentioned.  I tried everything I know how to do -- updated everything I possibly could on both my computer and on my phone (I know the USB cord works, as it was working up until yesterday, and my computer still makes the "connect" sound when I plug in the phone, but that's where things end).  I am at my wits' end.  Just do not know where to go from here, except to return the phone and go with a completely different platform.  I am so sad about this -- loved my old BB and hope this one would be even better.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moviefreak

FYL, when I plug in the phone via USB, my computer makes the "device connected".  Then, the systray icon for the BB Device Manager lights up (the little green lights that show it's communicating with the device) for just a second.  Then all goes dead.  The DM dos not open, and if I open it manually, it tells me to plug in the device. 

Any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...maybe a totally clean start over? Here's a process:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

• Some have reported that there are more registry keys to remove than are discussed in that KB...be sure to search your registry for any related to RIM

• Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

• Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

• KB23681How to configure organizer data synchronization settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moviefreak

Thanks for the additional info.  I will try the OS package as well.  I did a complete update of my computer, of the device, and clean uninstall & reinstall of the DM.  It worked the first time (when DM first came up, it recognized the device, and I was able to sync).  Then it once again stopped recognizing the device.  I did another reinstall of teh DM, and the same thing happened.  Fine the first time, and then it stops seeing the phone.

One thing you might want to include in the advice is to download the DM using IE, and not another browser. With other browsers, the ful file does not sem to come through.

I'll let you know if the OS helps, but I am not optimistic.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moviefreak

OK, here's the deal -- after spending close to 30 hours woprking on this (should it really be this hard???), I am pretty darn sure that there is some glitch in the actual DM software 6.0 or something about the device (Style 9670).  I was always able always to connect my former Blackberry phone and never, ever had a problem syncing or anything.

My computer is not the issues -- it recognizes the phone.  Sometimes when the phone is plugged in, it will trigger the driver app, sometimes it won't (why?).  Sometimes it comes up as a mass storage device. 

When I click on the small DM icon in the system tray, it always knows when the phone is attached.  OK, step one.  But when I open the full DM app, it asks me to connect the device, even though it's seeing that it's connected.  WHY?  I have tried both ways -- open DM first, then plug in phone; plug in phone, then open the app.  Nothing works.

I am SO at the end of my rope on this, and I see in various threads that I am not the only one with this issue. 

Does BB have any real fix for it?  Why does it happen with some phones / computers and not others?  (My roommate has the same phone and same computer, and no problems.) 

Could it be the phone itself?  I will be exchanging it -- for the same model -- andthen I'll try it again.  If it still had this problem, I'm afraid I'll have to leave BB ... and with a very bad taste in my mouth.  So sad.  I really like the phone and would love to be able to use it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moviefreak

Hello again ... just wanted to inform everyone that the phone recognition error is almost certainly with the DM 6.0 version.  I know this now because I finally thought to install the old (5.0) version on my computer, and it starts flawlessly each time, recognizes my phone no matter how many times I unplug it, and performs the necessary syncing.

The issue now is that the other functionality (media, apps, etc.) is not the same -- it's much better in 6.0.  So, please let me know when you all figure out the glitches in 6.0 and release a new version that will have all the functions but also be free of the problems of not recognizing devices.  Yes,I have read several threads on which people attest that they are having the same issue of no device recognition.  Thus, I hope the problem is being addressed before even more frustrated people spend dozens of hours trying to figure out what's wrong.

thanks

Please use plain text.