Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
benkeaster
My Device: Blackberry Tigel 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Easy guide to troubleshooting the Desktop Manager

I have a bb 9700 that I bought unlocked wholesale (I think from China).  I have downloaded the 5.0 version of desktop manager over and over and cannot get it to recognize my phone when I connect it to my computer (which is running xp).  I need to establish a connection to link my calender and my contacts (the whole reason I got this blasted phone).  The only message I get is "verify that your device is connected"  What can be done?  I have tried several hard resets and downloaded different versions of the desktop software.  My computer does recognize the phone as a jump drive but I can't utilize any of the features of the desktop manager.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

benkeaster wrote:

I have a bb 9700 that I bought unlocked wholesale (I think from China).  I have downloaded the 5.0 version of desktop manager over and over and cannot get it to recognize my phone when I connect it to my computer (which is running xp).  I need to establish a connection to link my calender and my contacts (the whole reason I got this blasted phone).  The only message I get is "verify that your device is connected"  What can be done?  I have tried several hard resets and downloaded different versions of the desktop software.  My computer does recognize the phone as a jump drive but I can't utilize any of the features of the desktop manager.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Here is the list of troubleshooting atricles...hopefully something will be useful:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
benkeaster
My Device: Blackberry Tigel 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

I am still struggling.  I tried this advice from one of the links you sent me

Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to a different USB port.

Note: Make sure that the computer detects the BlackBerry smartphone, by completing the following steps:

For Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows® XP

1. On the desktop, right click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Select the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
  3. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    If the connection is successful, BlackBerry Smartphone should be listed.

The Blackberry Smartphone is not listed no matter what usb port I try, either with my work computer or my home computer.  I can't have the Blackberry Desktop manager try and detect it because I can't access the blackberry desktop manager because it only tells me that I need to verify that the device is connected.  I am very frustrated and am currently wishing my blackjack was still operational.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sclove423
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you for the Guide. Any tips for the error: 

Blackberry Error Code 0x80040fb3 ? It is very frustrating! Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

sclove423 wrote:

Thank you for the Guide. Any tips for the error: 

Blackberry Error Code 0x80040fb3 ? It is very frustrating! Thanks again.

yes : please use the search form on the left of the pages to see if someone has already asked the question. By clicking here you will see several discussions about that error code, that have been marked as "solved" by the original poster:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=true&filter=acceptedSo...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
tboggymarsh
My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

When starting Desktop Manager it never gets past the "Initializing Blackberry Desktop Manager" Message. Any suggestions? I have installed it several times with the same results. I am running version 5.0.1 on Windows 7.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

tboggymarsh wrote:

When starting Desktop Manager it never gets past the "Initializing Blackberry Desktop Manager" Message. Any suggestions? I have installed it several times with the same results. I am running version 5.0.1 on Windows 7.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

5.0.1.what? There are 4 octets to the version number...and RIM just released a brand new version which is still 5.0.1.xxx so it's that last octet that matters the most. With so little detail, it's hard to suggest anything but a complete start over...here's a process:

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • Some have reported that there are more registry keys to remove than are discussed in that KB
  • Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchronizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mayur_01
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

I have installed the blackberry desktop manager v 4. I'm wanting add themes using the "application loader" but it doesn't allow me. I keep getting a message saying "Invalid Configuration. The device does not have sufficient storage space to accommodate your selections". The thing is that have enough memory on my external memory card (i have checked). Can someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in Advance!!!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Mayur_01 wrote:

I have installed the blackberry desktop manager v 4. I'm wanting add themes using the "application loader" but it doesn't allow me. I keep getting a message saying "Invalid Configuration. The device does not have sufficient storage space to accommodate your selections". The thing is that have enough memory on my external memory card (i have checked). Can someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in Advance!!!

the external memory card is called by RIM a "media card". All you can store on it is media files : mp3, videos, ringtones, pictures, voice notes. Themes are installed at the same location as applications : either device memory or Application memory (depending on your device model).

if you have an old device:

home screen >> options >> status >> file free

how much is it ? It should be more than 10'000'000.

if you have a recent device:

home screen >> options >> memory >> application memory

how much is it?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mayur_01
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: orange

Xandrex wrote:

Mayur_01 wrote:

Thanks in Advance!!!

the external memory card is called by RIM a "media card". All you can store on it is media files : mp3, videos, ringtones, pictures, voice notes. Themes are installed at the same location as applications : either device memory or Application memory (depending on your device model).

if you have an old device:

home screen >> options >> status >> file free

how much is it ? It should be more than 10'000'000.

if you have a recent device:

home screen >> options >> memory >> application memory

how much is it?

It says: "File free : 123567182 bytes" Now what?

Please use plain text.