Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Guide to installing applications on the blackberry

[ Edited ]

Guide to installing applications on your blackberry.

There are a few things we need to define before we move forward, there are twoways to download applications to your BlackBerry, the first one is over the air (OTA) and the second one is through the wire, or using the Desktop Manager or using Loader.exe

There are four files types that we are going to deal with.

• .JAD files: An application descriptor that stores information about the application itself and the location of .COD files
  • .JAR files: a JAR file (or Java Archive) is used for aggregating many files into one. It is generally used to distribute Java classes and associated metadata.
  • .COD files: A COD file is a proprietary file format developed by RIM that contains compiled and packaged application code.
  • .ALX files: Similar to the .JAD file, in that it holds information about where the installation files for the application are located

*To install an application via OTA, navigate to the select mobile web site you want to download from, and either select the download link with the trackball, or press the “menu” button and go to “get link” At this point, you will navigate to the “install now” or “download” link. Note this can be named many different things.

*You should get a popup that looks something like this "see install2", select the download. Note, you can set application permissions here, or you can change it the first time you run the application, and those are basically telling your blackberry what they have, and don’t have access to.

*After you install the application, you should get a confirmation. "See install1"

If you navigate on your BlackBerry to applications, you should see the selected program listed in there. The icon should be placed on your desktop as well.

*Installing using the Desktop Manager

You will need to navigate to the website of the place you are going to download the application from, download the files to a location where you can find it later.

*After the download is complete, navigate to the location where you just saved that file or files, and unzip them, you will now have multiple files, don’t worry, they really aren’t that confusing.

Open your desktop manager, and depending on the version you are running, you should get have an icon that reads "Application Loader" ( I am doing this with version 4.6)

*Open the application loader, and then select add/remove applications and press “start

The device manager will then give up an updated list of all applications on your device; this is also a great place to remove applications from your device that you might not want anymore. From here you should see a “browse” button, simply navigate to the location where you unzipped those files, more specifically the .alx file, and hit “open

*Next you will be brought back to the application loader screen, make sure the check mark is next to the applications you wanted loaded onto your BlackBerry, and then hit “next

The applications will install, your BlackBerry will reboot, and you should be all set.

Using Loader.exe To install applications

*You will need to navigate to the website of the place you are going to download the application from, download the files to a location where you can find it later.

*By default, the loader.exe is stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

*To access this, if you go to start>run> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. it will bring up an explorer type view, from here you should be able to double click on the "loader.exe"

*This will prompt a wizard, Hit next here and it will prompt you to select port the BlackBerry is connected to. It should list your BlackBerry and the PIN for the device in the drop down, Click next and it will populate the application info for your device.

*It will now populate a list of the applications, Notice at the top of the screen, you will have an "add" and "delete" option.

*If you select add here, you should browse to the location of unzipped files, the .alx file, and then hit next. This is also a great place to manage the applications that are on your BlackBerry.

Finally, make sure that all the programs you want are checked and hit next.

You should have you reboot, but after that you should be all set.

Message Edited by bbhorrigan on 01-12-2009 04:15 PM

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Guide to installing applications on the blackberry

Great guide.

It could include directions using only loader.exe, but this guide will be helpful.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Updated

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Great post!

(I got here late) :smileyvery-happy:

Kudo's BBH!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
moyer_jason
My Device: Not Specified

Great info.

But how would a BES Admin push the software from BES to the Device?

Thanks, 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

moyer_jason wrote:

Great info.

But how would a BES Admin push the software from BES to the Device?

Thanks, 

This should help

KB03748 - How to create a software configuration to deploy third-party applications to BlackBerry sm...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Visitor
nadsworth
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: 3

I love this piece of advice. I've been having trouble with my 9700. If i have the app sent to email, i can't open and it wont work on handset either. So i've plugged into laptop (following your post) and went to apps online but i still can't figure it! I can't open app email on the mobile and when i did it thru my laptop, i still can't do it! I got the email, it says click the link to download, i clicked but it just took me back to 'get it today'.....help!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jzvi12
My Device: 8350i
My Carrier: Nextel

Does anybody have the AOL Radio cod/alx file uploaded for download? unfortunately, I don't have at&t and this app only works with this carrier. Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
shon6
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9500
My Carrier: Digicel

hi,

I have a BB Storm 9500 and need to use Application loader.  I have been succesful with all the steps until i get to add the .alx file.  This file is stored in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\MediaSyncMobile and name of this file is "net_rim_mediasync.alx".  The loader gives an error message that this file is not compatible with my device.

Can you please advise where i can get the right .alx file

N.B. due to wrong password entries, my BB is currently showing reload software: 513.  That is why I cannot use the Desktop Manager as it does not connect to my device under this state.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silwar
My Device: BOLD 9780
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

How to Reinstall application on Blackberry

Excellent Guide

It works for me

But problem I am facing now is

whenever I tried to reinstall same application

It gives me an error " No Additional Applications Desigend For