Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
jlzimmerman
My Device: Verizon Curve 8330

Re: HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

Thanks.  I'll see if that is the case when I get the SD cards.  With that said, it's odd if that is the case.  I don't understand why RIM would not make the architecture of the internal memory flash, but I digress.  Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

jlzimmerman wrote:
Thanks.  I'll see if that is the case when I get the SD cards.  With that said, it's odd if that is the case.  I don't understand why RIM would not make the architecture of the internal memory flash, but I digress.  Thanks again.
The internal memory can be seen in Windows Explorer (meaning there is one external drive for Internal Memory and one external drive for Memory card), but not for old models.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
MiltonSegura
My Device: Not Specified

That solved my problem! thank you very much!! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jjd249

Hello I have a blackberry storm I just used as a primary camera on a trip to europe. I don't want to lose any of the pictures. Will changing my memory settings cause me to lose any of the digital images my settings are currently as follows:

Media Card Support = On

Encryption Mode = None

MTP = On

Mass Storage Mode Support  = On

Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected  = No

Will changing the one option cause my pictures to be deleted?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

I do not know about the "encryption mode", but all others are safe to modify as you wish.
I too have it set to "None" and it works perfectly.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Arlington456

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The same thing is happening to me.

USB Mass Storage access worked for my first BB Bold. Then my Bold was replaced due to a faulty trackball. When the new Bold was connected neither of the hard drives would show up in My Computer anymore. I've installed DM4.7, then uninstalled it and installed the USB Drivers and then reinstalled the DM4.7 again. I'm still having the problem.

I've even started over with a fresh install of Vista on my laptop (for other reasons).

It makes me think there is something wrong with the replacement BB Bold I received.

My "memory" settings are the same as those stated above...but nothing.

What is going on?

Nick 

Message Edited by Arlington456 on 06-17-2009 09:42 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jjd249

Thanks for the response. I decided to not risk it and instead invested in a blue tooth doggle for my laptop. Downloads extremly fast and I now I'm free to play with my BB setting. Thanks again

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBDragon
My Device: BB Storm 9530

As XandRex mentioned the BB drives can be seen thru explore on the PC. I do have mass storage device set for auto and i have to put in the password to activate it.

In explore on the PC both drives of the BB show as F: (Media Card - 7.39 GB) and H: (App Memory - 879 MB). What files i have that dont save on the media card i just move over while its connected to the PC freeing up App memory.

I have been doing this since i got it with no issues so its confusing to see so many people complain about app memory full and cant clear it or free up space. I figured i had a unit without issues but then i read alot of people use the BB Device Manager Program and i sont use that to just move files ect.

Going thru Explore on the PC works extremely well and your done in about 5 seconds with whatever you want to move, maybe people just need a better or clearer explanation on this process.

I also tried the bluetooth option for BB to BB with my BB Storm to my other BB Storm to move some music and files - worked very well. I was able to save those files onto the 8 GB card while doing the transfer.

Your advice is always appreciated, Thank You
Storm 9530
Ver 5.0.0.328
If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking the Kudos button.
If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution so that others can find it easier!

1 Kudos! Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi BBDragon!

To clarify, there are actually three types of potential memory on BB's...but not all device OS's display them.

App Memory

Device Memory

Media Card Memory

App Memory is the protected space into which apps get installed. It is fixed (I'm not sure of the amount) and is the one that, when it fills up, bogs down performance of BB's terribly.

Device and Media Card memory are user-accessible file storage areas...and function just like a USB drive when configured properly (as you describe). You can do exactly as you say. But, moving something from one to the other truly does nothing for App Memory -- you cannot see or touch App Memory via the PC interface...you are only seeing Device and Media Card Memory.

Some levels of the OS give you readings for all three of these. Older levels only say "File Free" and Media Card (I think). And I think that App Memory and Device Memory get combined in the single File Free reading...so moving something out of Device Memory (which you can touch) does nothing truly to help out with App Memory.

Batt-pop reboots are the best method to clean out app memory of things that have gotten left there by apps with memory leaks and such (yes, those exist!).

I hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBDragon
My Device: BB Storm 9530

Hi BBDragon!

To clarify, there are actually three types of potential memory on BB's...but not all device OS's display them.

App Memory

Device Memory

Media Card Memory

App Memory is the protected space into which apps get installed. It is fixed (I'm not sure of the amount) and is the one that, when it fills up, bogs down performance of BB's terribly.

Device and Media Card memory are user-accessible file storage areas...and function just like a USB drive when configured properly (as you describe). You can do exactly as you say. But, moving something from one to the other truly does nothing for App Memory -- you cannot see or touch App Memory via the PC interface...you are only seeing Device and Media Card Memory.

Some levels of the OS give you readings for all three of these. Older levels only say "File Free" and Media Card (I think). And I think that App Memory and Device Memory get combined in the single File Free reading...so moving something out of Device Memory (which you can touch) does nothing truly to help out with App Memory.

Batt-pop reboots are the best method to clean out app memory of things that have gotten left there by apps with memory leaks and such (yes, those exist!).

I hope that helps!

________________________________________________________________________________

Yea i do see all three as you mentioned and i just checked that, the app memory is still the same. I see now what you are talking about so i thank you for pointing that out to me. When they can expand to more then 128 MB it will improve the app memory i would think but i am happy with my Storm as is.

I only run app's i need and its so easy to load new ones that if i need one i will just load it and remove one if i need too. This option would be awsome if they could use the memory card to hold apps your not currently using and you can swap them out as you need them. This would be a real easy fix so at some point this may become reality i would think.

Your advice is always appreciated, Thank You
Storm 9530
Ver 5.0.0.328
If you think a post deserves credit, give it a thumbs up by clicking the Kudos button.
If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution so that others can find it easier!

1 Kudos! Thanks!

Please use plain text.