If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
cmbc
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: rogers

Help installing Desktop software - Windows XP, curve 9360

I'm running XP, service pack 2

Have a new curve 9360.

I tried this software package:

9360jAllLang_PBr7.0.0_rel1555_PL8.0.0.359_A7.0.0.319_Rogers_Wireless_Inc.exe

The installer ran through fine, said it installed everything successfully, but nothing actually installed. 

Nothing in Program Files, no services.. 

This error is found in event viewer:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {BA3D0120-E617-4F66-ADCA-585CC2FB86DB}. The error:
"The system cannot find the path specified. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\RESEAR~1\USBDRI~1\BbDevMgr.exe -Embedding

I removed that "installation" through add/remove programs, and tried these two packages:

710_b033_multilanguage.exe

BlackBerry_Desktop_Manager_6.1_b20.exe

And both fail, saying I need XP service pack 3.

any tips?

This is my first experience with a blackberry, not too impressed at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Help installing Desktop software - Windows XP, curve 9360

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Well, as a first step, I would definitely recommend you update your XP to SP3...that will provide the basis for many things, not only the RIM stuff.

You also should be certain that you are logged into your XP with an account that has full admin rights...the event viewer notification you had may well indicate that the installation requires access to a location that your account does not have access to.

You also should probably first install the Desktop Software...though the current version also requires XP SP3 as a minimum.

All in all, I think first updating your XP system is your best option as a first step.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmbc

Thanks,

I updated to sp3, and was finally able to install desktop software and device manager.

I'm now trying to add apps, I don't have a data plan, so I'm trying to download an app and install it through the desktop software.

(WHen I open the desktop software, it prompts me to choose a profile, but the drop-down list is blank.  Not sure if that's causing a problem, i can't see where to create a legit profile.)

I have the app world plug in installed (up-to-date firefox)

I'm on the "system check" page and I try to connect to my device and I get

"App World Web Plugin Error

An error has occurred communicating with the BlackBerry App World Client. If you have content protection enabled on your device, please disable and try again."

I went through security settings and don't have content or encryption enabled.

Also, when I open the desktop software and click on Applications, none are listed, but it shows I have 169MB out of 460MB left for app storage.

Holy smokes here, this is not very user-friendly.  My iphone connected up and I was going within 10 minutes, this has been at least 8 hours so far.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmbc

Jeez,

Now app world won't even recognize that my phone is connected.

And when I sign in, it doesn't recognize that I've signed in.  It still says "sign in".

My cookies settings are normal, I don't have any issues at any other sites.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

cmbc wrote:

I don't have a data plan

This actually is key...not having a proper BB-level data plan on a BB makes everything much more difficult. Unlike "common" devices, BBs have many proprietary services that only function if you have a BB-level data plan on them. Since those services are for BB users only, the carriers all charge a premium for them...generic data plans are not adequate. Hence, without a data plan, nothing you are attempting to accomplish will be simple...not at all. Indeed, you will not even be able to do email on the BB without a data plan. Yes, that's shocking...but it is what it is.

So, my first recommendation is to get a proper data plan...that will enable so many things to be smooth and automatic.

If you wish to attempt to continue without a data plan, then you will need to prepare yourself for a lot of manual work and tricks to use in order to accomplish things. It's not easy...and by no means "plug and play" like iFruit devices are. But, iFruit's function in a much more generic, and thereby less secure, model...to have the security that only BBs can deliver requires the user to accept that things just won't be as "simple" as other less secure environments.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmbc

Hi,

I'm not getting a data plan for this device, please proceed with any tips/help.

It can't be that hard to install an app through the desktop?

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It's not, but you have to do some tricks since you have no data plan...

First, you need to download and install to your PC the OS package that your BB is running...

If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure. You also can use this procedure to update your BB OS to a different version with the Desktop Software...again, following all that is above (and below re: disconnecting your PC from the Internet first).

Now, before you launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB to your PC, you need to disconnect your PC from the Internet...if connected, it may try to "check" with your carrier for updates and authorization (having that data plan) before it proceeds...and finding no proper BIS plan, it may refuse to allow you to continue. Once you launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB, it should display much more now that you have the OS package installed to the PC as well. Then, if you have already downloaded, to your PC, the necessary files for apps you desire, you can proceed with using the Desktop Software to install them:

• KB14473 How to install an application on a BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • KB04670 Install a third-party application with the Application Loader

For 3rd party apps (e.g., things not included in the OS package you installed to your PC), the required files are usually of the "alx" format (*.alx) in order for the Desktop Software to install them to your BB. You must acquire those alx files from the app developer.

If you obtain a .jad file from a developer, you would instead use Mass Storage Mode to copy the file(s) to your BB:

• KB11879 What is mass storage mode

You would then, using the file manager on the BB itself, navigate to and run the .jad file...which will install the app to the BB.

Regarding AppWorld, it's likely that you won't be able to use the PC/browser/USB method for that...depending on some other factors, you might be able to use the on-device AppWorld interface via WiFi.

I think that's enough information to get you started...as I said, not having a data plan requires lots of tricks on your part to get things working...and many services that BB users take for granted simply will not work for you.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmbc

Thanks for your help,

I already had the proper OS package installed, I deleted all instances of vendor.xml, disconnected from teh internet..

Still nothing displayed in the Apps section of the desktop software. 

So I'll never be able to connect to the official Blackberry apps content, the best I'll ever be able to do is install 3rd party apps?

I'm (literally, seriously) shocked at how poorly this has gone so far, I've had multiple software lockups and forced reboots.

I'm bailing on blackberry, maybe iphones aren't as secure but at least they work.

Maybe give android a try.  thanks again for your help.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

cmbc wrote:

I already had the proper OS package installed, I deleted all instances of vendor.xml, disconnected from teh internet..

Still nothing displayed in the Apps section of the desktop software.   

Something remains incorrect...I actually do exactly as I'm advising you to do with a particular BB that I own, and the Apps section fills in with all of the OS-included things (starting with the Core OS). Hence, I can only deduce that the wrong OS package is installed to your PC. Check carefully:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

Match the "Applications" reading from the OS package (usually the "A" portion of the filename) to the 4 octet reading for what is installed to your BB. You might have to try a few carriers as well, just in case there is a slight difference. But, I know 100% that you should be able to see a fully populated list of OS-included Applications inside of the Desktop Software. But, if the Desktop Software finds something about the installed OS package that does not match the BB (e.g., wrong model number, wrong version, VENDOR.XML, etc.), then it will totally ignore the installed OS package and, since it's not connected to the Internet, it cannot present anything at all to you.

cmbc wrote:

So I'll never be able to connect to the official Blackberry apps content, the best I'll ever be able to do is install 3rd party apps?

If you mean AppWorld, then re-read what I said above...via WiFi, you may well be able to use AppWorld just fine. I know that in my case with that one BB, I do so. Did you try?

cmbc wrote:

I'm (literally, seriously) shocked at how poorly this has gone so far, 

Please try to remember that you have elected to try to use the device in a less-than-optimal configuration (no data plan). As such, it will be much more difficult. But you made that choice. With no data plan, "plug and play" simply does not exist...BBs are integrated with their data plans, and simply are not designed as "stand alone" devices...hence, careful tricks are required to get some utility out of them when one chooses to hamper them in such a manner.

cmbc wrote:

I've had multiple software lockups and forced reboots.

Well, that's interesting indeed. Depending on the circumstances surrounding those events, you may well have OS level corruption on your BB, and a clean OS reload would be an important step in the diagnostic process.

cmbc wrote:

I'm bailing on blackberry, maybe iphones aren't as secure but at least they work.

Maybe give android a try. 

I also have an Android...and all I can say is that I miss many thing about BBs. I do not, however, judge either of them to be "better" or "worse" than the other...they are quite different, and IMHO not truly comparable for a "better/worse" decision point. Rather, there just happen, IMHO, to be a plethora of devices in the world so as to try and satisfy the massive range of desires and tolerance levels that humans have. Each must weigh their personal preference set of desires and tolerance levels for all factors...and then choose the one that best meets that unique set of requirements. There is no device that is perfect for everyone. If you feel that BBs are not for you, then that's just fine as well.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.