Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
RobPG
My Device: Not Specified

How to Install Desktop Software 6 Silently

[ Edited ]

In previous versions of Blackberry Desktop Manger, there was a file in the installation directory called 'install.txt.'  In this file were parameters for the [INSTALL_OPTIONS] tag, which you could copy/paste into the setup.ini file in the install directory to customize your installation.

Desktop Software 6 does not have the 'install.ext' file, but it does have the setup.ini file.  I tried adding my old [INSTALL_OPTIONS] tags to the new setup.ini file but they don't work.  I ran the setup.exe file with the /? tag to see if I could get any insight on how to install silently.  All this gives me is the following:

Command line parameters:

/L language ID

/S Hide initialization dialog.  For silent mode use: /S /v /qn.

/V parameters to MsiExec.exe

/UA<url to InstMsiA.exe>

/UW<url to InstMsiW.exe>

/UM<url to msi package>

/US<url to lsScript.msi>

Do any of these command line parameters actually work?  Nope.

I am trying to perform silent installations of Desktop Manager, which is something I had no problem doing with previous versions, but now I can no longer perform silent installations.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RobPG
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to Install Desktop Software 6 Silently

Ended up solving my own problem.  

For those of you that want a completely silent unattended installation of desktop manager, just run the Blackberry Desktop Software.msi file with a /qn tag.  Simple enough.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
ThomS
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Rogers

I know that the /qn allows for a silent install but is there a way to pass other parameters to the BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi program to for instance prevent the creation of a desktop icon?  I believe that was a facility in an earlier release of the Blackberry Desktop install.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
rbilton
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Please use plain text.