If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
Phil_LatAm
My Device: Torch 9860, software rel 7.0 bundle 1549
My Carrier: Entel Chile

How to bypass Outlook in favor of Windows Contacts

Hello

I recently synched my Torch with my personal laptop (running Vista), where I don't use Outlook, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the software automatically sought out the Windows Contacts option.

Next challenge is to do the same on my work PC, since I spend more time on that machine and can add contacts to the BB via Windows Contacts during spare moments. The trouble is, when I connect the Torch at work the only option I get is to sync with Outlook, and that has hundreds of contacts who I don't want on my Blackberry. 

How can I get BB desktop to prioritize Windows Contacts over Outlook?

Details for all my non-work contacts are in a very old Palm database (Zire 21), and all my attempts to export that have come to a dead end, so I'm going to have to enter them into the Torch one by one. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: How to bypass Outlook in favor of Windows Contacts

What version of windows are you running on your work computer? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Phil_LatAm

Thanks Jamead,

it's Windows XP Professional 2002, Service Pack 3
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

Windows XP does not have the Contacts program that Vista has (and is again removed in Windows 7/8 from memory) hence why you are only being presented with the option to sync with Outlook. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Phil_LatAm

Ah thanks - good to know about W7 too, was thinking of upgrading my laptop OS, but maybe best to hold on to Vista until I've copied all those Palm contacts. Windows Contacts looks like the least fiddly option for doing that.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bina13
My Device: BB Bold 9790
My Carrier: vodafone

Sorry to be budging in on this, but I think I have a similar problem and have searched high and low for a solution. Maybe someone here might be able to help?

I have a new Windows8 laptop with MS Office, BUT without OUTLOOK.

Having installed BB Desktop software I can connect the BB to the laptop (via USB); it recognises the BB fine. BUT because I do not have Outlook the contacts and calendar do not seem to sync.

How do I therefore sync my contacts (I have 451!) and calendar please?

At some point during various attempts it appeared to work, but the details within my 'people' app have not updated, so did not seem to work after all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sabine

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

BlackBerry Desktop Software is compatible with Microsoft® Outlook, Windows® Calendar, IBM® Lotus Notes®, and Yahoo!®. 

i do not believe  the desktop software works with the built in contacts and calendar of Windows 8. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bina13
My Device: BB Bold 9790
My Carrier: vodafone

Thanks for your swift reply!

I was sort of aware that they are not compatible, but theard something about google contacts? and I assured that you can get your contacts onto the laptop somehow. Can you convert your BB contactsinto google contacts? At the time of buying the new laptop I totally didn't appreciate this might turn into such a big issue! But surely I can't be the only one?

Please use plain text.