If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
ojkoukaz
My Device: Not Specified

Howto: Transfer AutoText list from one phone to another

Hello,

I have been trying to find out how to transfer my friend's AutoText list from his phone, onto my phone, using the most current desktop BB software. Can anyone help with this? Also, I have also been trying to figure out how to edit this list manually, once I have isolated the database file. I hear some rumors that it is readonly, but have yet even to extract and isolate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I have tried looking through SEVERAL threads, if anyone has a better direction to point me in; or another post on another message board). 

Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Howto: Transfer AutoText list from one phone to another

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

While I've not done exactly what you are asking about, it should work.

See this KB for the list of all DBs on the BB:

• KB03974List of all databases on the BlackBerry smartphone

Since the AutoText DB is listed, it should therefore be able to be backed up and restored using the Custom backup/restore in this KB:

• KB23680How to back up and restore BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0

To edit the Auto Text list on the device, see this KB:

• KB12102How to edit AutoText entries

Editing outside of the device is a trickier matter...and I'm not at all sure it's possible. The file created on the PC when you conduct a backup is indeed proprietary to the RIM Desktop Software...that IPD file is not designed (by RIM) for direct (by you) usage of any kind. But, there are 3rd party readers out there (ABC Amber Converter or something like that comes to mind)...I've no idea if they provide any method to edit the AutoText data yet keep the IPD file intact for subsequent restore to a BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ojkoukaz

Thank you very much for the response. Using 3rd party software, I can isolate and view just the AutoText file. I will need to get my hands on another, Blackberry in order to see if I can grab from one and restore to another, although I am guessing I may encounter complications here, when trying to restore to a new phone (actually this should be simple, assuming that I am upgrading phones, no?)

So I guess my follow-up is, how do Import a list (be it CSV or other acceptable format) and create a new IPD with this new list? Is the Blackberry device itself the only thing that will allow me to CREATE and IPD?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

ojkoukaz wrote:

I will need to get my hands on another, Blackberry in order to see if I can grab from one and restore to another

Oh I'm sorry...I must have misunderstood; I thought you already had another device that you were trying this with...

ojkoukaz wrote:

although I am guessing I may encounter complications here, when trying to restore to a new phone (actually this should be simple, assuming that I am upgrading phones, no?)

Any IPD file that the RIM desktop software creates can be used to restore to any BB device. The IPD file contains data (contacts, calendar, etc....all of the databases in the first KB I linked for you earlier) but not the actual BB OS nor the add-on apps. The restore process is covered in the second KB that I linked for you above.

ojkoukaz wrote:

So I guess my follow-up is, how do Import a list (be it CSV or other acceptable format) and create a new IPD with this new list? Is the Blackberry device itself the only thing that will allow me to CREATE and IPD?

Point of Clarification -- The BB Device does not create the IPD...rather, the RIM desktop software does, using the BB Device as the source of data to be put into the IPD. I know that no native RIM tools will do as you are seeking...hence, you must seek out non-RIM tools to see if any exist to do what you desire. Given that the 3rd party readers (of IPD files) exist, I'd suggest starting with those developers to see if they've grown their product to further do what you desire.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ojkoukaz

One last q. If I want to take just the AutoText file from one phone and load it onto another phone, can I do this without replacing anything else on the target phone? 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Given that the AutoText Database is one of those listed in the above KB, then it is theoretically possible to perform a custom backup/restore, only targeting that single database, thereby accomplishing what you desire. But, again, this would still be BB to BB...not other devices.

Note that I say "theoretically"...I haven't launched the desktop software for some time (being on BES, there is little reason to) and cannot recall if the AutoText database is one of those listed as available for custom backup/restore. But, the other KB above describes exactly how to do custom backups and restores...if you give it a try, you will be able to vet out if it can be done or not.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nachu25
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

I am facing the same problem.  While I have not yet been able to get on top of it fully I can suggest a simple but elongated method, but one which works though it is slow.  You will need two sim cards and both phones though!

On my blackberry I get into whatsapp or email or any other like docs to go etc and type in all the short cuts which get expanded to the full phrase as in:

shortcut:   Phrase

fmfbp: From a Facebook post

(I have some phrases which are like almost half a page to 1 page which I regularly use for my business, while others are small ones like

inmtg: Sorry, I cd not pick your call ... blah blah!)

so it really saves me a lot of time to transfer all this stuff to my iphone.  However, after receiving it on your iphone on whatsapp you will still need to plug in these things under settings, general, keyboard, shortcuts.

hope this helps.

If someone has a better, easier method I would be interested in learning that as well!

Please use plain text.