Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

michaelthorson wrote:

And, for your edification, since you seem to be so hung up on this point... yes, I did contact my carrier about this problem.  They uncategorically denied they are responsible for providing support for the Desktop Software.  They referred me to RIM.  Which brought me to this forum. 

It is unfortunate that whoever you spoke with at your carrier was not well informed (it also is not the first, nor I am sure the last, time that this has happened!). You see, the statement is almost completely correct...being referred to RIM is indeed the proper course of action. However, this forum is not the proper method by which to carry out that escalation. Only via escalation from a carrier can an end user receive any free formal support from RIM for anything. There is no other channel through which an end user can seek, for free, any formal support from RIM. The carriers, by signing up to sell and support BB's, also sign up to being that first line support channel to their end users...and they then have the responsibility to escalate cases into RIM that they cannot deal with.

While RIM does admit to monitoring these forums for general trends and issues, it is decidedly not a channel for any specific and formal support to an end user. If your goal is to communicate such general information, then posting here is indeed appropriate. However, if your goal is to seek formal support for your specific issue, then the formal channel (escalation from your carrier) is the only method by which to obtain that. Sadly, we are at the mercy of the individual agents that we may reach when we contact our carriers...escalating to their Manager, communicating to them that you need escalation into RIM from them, and otherwise not letting them fob you off is sadly necessary all too often.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

michaelthorson wrote:

My point was made in the hopes that perhaps someone from BlackBerry monitors these forums and would then understand the frustration their customers have with the lack of support for the products they create.

Hello michaelthorson,

I cannot praise enough people who act in order to enhance a given situation. Thank you for that, you and I do have the same attitude. Unfortunately, I know for a fact that the RIM employees that read the forum do not really monitor the "hottest issues" raised by angry users here.

The only true way that RIM uses to quantify how much annoying and spread a nuisance is, is through the carrier issues. so if you want to make your voice heard by RIM, you have two choices :

• contact the carrier, and insist (demand...) that they escalate to RIM (and put you through to RIM Level 2 support at no charge for you)
  • contact RIM through their Twitter accounts (especially @blackberryhelp ).

michaelthorson wrote:

Either way, the feedback I see here routinely describes it as poor.  Even if it is meant to be the phone carrier's primary responsibility, this is still a problem for BlackBerry, as many customers perceive them to be responsible for supporting their phones.

I agree with you : it harms BlackBerry sales and perception of the user, to have a sub-level support from the entity (carrier+RIM).

But on the other hand, of course the feedback on this forum is negative. This is by construction. I have never seen a user come here and create an account on a webforum just to say "hey, I'm not having any issues, I love RIM and BlackBerry rocks". People only come here to find solutions to their issues.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
michaelthorson
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Thanks, that is good advice. I was not aware of this escalation through Level 2 support via the carrier until I read this forum.

Best,

Mike
Please use plain text.
Contributor
michaelthorson

Good points... people only come here when they have a problem and are in a frustrated mindset. I actually do like RIM and BlackBerry... until I have a problem and then it is very difficult to find solutions either through the carrier or RIM. I suppose the grass is no greener with the other phone makers, and since I haven't ever used anything except BlackBerry I really don't know.

Thanks for your comments,

Best,

Mike
Please use plain text.
Yusirah
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Cell C

Hey I wanted to know if you solved your problem with windows installer that always has that window poping up about : msiexec/Option <Required Parameter> [Optinal Parameter] ... And more. Cause I read the thread but I don't understand a thing ... So can u please help ... Maybe there is a easy way like just downloading some software or file ... It happens with every version of the. I really need this ... Email me yusirahwhitey@gmail.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
michaelthorson

I went to the Micrososft download site and manually installed the Microsoft C++ SP1 package (which is what the error message I had was telling me was missing--not sure if yours is exactly the same).  Once I installed that update patch the Blackberry installer worked.

Good luck...

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Taayonma17
My Device: Black Berry Playbook - 134316332460
My Carrier: MTN

Hello,

I have had a problem with my Desktop software and my playbook ever since the upgrade on the PB OS. I have upgrade and re-installed my desktop software but still, I cannot transfer dovuments, view media files or backup my playbook.

When i plug my playbook onto my computer, the BB software starts backingup automatically, but stops midway and restarts my playbook. When the PB startsup is complete, there is an error msg on desktop manager saying "unable to backup PB"

I cant view files on my PB, transfer documents or media files, I just see the message when i click media "this function is not authorised"

This is getting pretty frustrating for me, as i havent been able to backup my playbook for months.

I didnt have any issues before the upgrade on the desktop software.

Please help need urgently from anyone who has overvome this fit!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
xaioros
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

i have installed the Desktop Software v7.1.0 B35 (Multilanguage)

710_b035_multilanguage.exe publishe: 12/04/2012

succesfull install but when i try to open it  a pop up apears

Blackberry software desktop is not responding

my Os is Windows 7 x64 bit

Please use plain text.