Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

once the files are uncompressed, just launch the installer from that folder !

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
knhamilton87
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

I'm sorry to seem ignorant but when I export the .exe file into a folder, four or five different files unload into the folder -- I don't know which one is the "installer" and it doesn't do anything automatically.  This is my problem.  Which file is the "installer" ???
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
knhamilton87

I figured out what the "installer" is and, after unzipping the .exe file's components to my desktop, restarted the "installer" and got the same error message I was getting before. . .

Error 1606.Could not access network location

\\ (address of our organization's shared drive).

Any ideas about why it is defaulting the install to our shared drive or how to get around it?

I'm going through withdrawal and am about to resort to handwriting my appointments in a calendar 10 times the size of my stupid crackberry. .. .I know my software works, I installed it on my home computer.  Sheesh!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

you should ask your local admins. Maybe the Documents & Settings of your Windows installation is across the network.
Anyway, you need for all the system folders to be on the local harddisk for the Desktop Manager to install.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Visitor
jfox77

Hello,

I too have been struggling to get the desktop software installation to complete successfully.  It will install, reboot my computer, start launching and then a Windows Installer pop-up comes up asking for BlackBerry 8100.msi.  Eventually I have to ctrl-alt-del and kill the Windows Installer window because cancelling out of it only makes it pop up again.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times.

I also used 7zip to unzip all of the files and then launch "BlackBerrySetup.exe" from my local drive.  It will go through the installation wizard but then it forces me to reboot.  Once the system is back up, when I launch the desktop software it is still asking for the BlackBerry 8100.msi file. 

I tried pointing it to the extracted (local) "BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi" file but that didn't work.  I also tried copying and renaming "BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi" to "BlackBerry 8100.msi" and pointing the windows installer to that file, but that didn't work either.  It keeps saying: ".... is not a valid installation package ..."

Thanks in advance for your help!
Please use plain text.
TrainingTailor

I am so frustrated with my Blackberry software, I can't even figure out how to post a help question here!  I uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop software after Sync kept failing.  Now I see the software on my control panel "add/delete" software, but I cannot launch it from programs or anywhere.  I used to get a box automatically whenever I started my PC, but that no longer happens.  I see lots of advice to go to the Destop Manager and do thus and such, but I can't even find my desktop manager!  What have I done???
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

TrainingTailor wrote:
I am so frustrated with my Blackberry software, I can't even figure out how to post a help question here!  I uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop software after Sync kept failing.  Now I see the software on my control panel "add/delete" software, but I cannot launch it from programs or anywhere.  I used to get a box automatically whenever I started my PC, but that no longer happens.  I see lots of advice to go to the Destop Manager and do thus and such, but I can't even find my desktop manager!  What have I done???
If I were you, I'd do this :

1) download the Desktop Manager 4.7 install on the "SOFTWARE" button on top of this message

2) uninstall your current installation using the article in the public knowledge base :
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206
Perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) install the file from 1)

Please use plain text.
el_cabong

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if the Blackberry support document covers this problem. My solution involves editing the registry, so keep in mind that I could be a blithering **bleep** or someone who likes to tell people neat ways to break their computer, so use your own discretion. Here is what I did.

First make sure you have a copy of the latest Blackberry Desktop software. Next, using Add/Remove programs, uninstall any Blackberry software.

Here is where the fun begins. Backup the registry by selecting Start, Run, enter regedit. This will open the registry editor. Within the registry editor select My Computer, then select Export from the File menu. Save the exported registry to a safe place.

Now select Edit then Find to search for Blackberry. What you are looking for is one or two entries that specifically list Blackberry 8310.msi or Blackberry 8330.msi. The entries will be under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products and/or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products. In either case this entry will be under a folder with a 32 character name. You can tell if you're looking at the right folder because it will contain a subfolder called Sourcelist. Delete these 32 character named folders.

At this point reboot and install the new Blackberry Desktop.

If you run into problems with the changes you made to the registry, do the same thing you did to export the registry only in this case choose Import.

Hope that helps

Message Edited by el_cabong on 03-30-2009 01:17 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bigtuna

[ Edited ]

I have the 8330 from sprint, but it doesn't make a difference... no matter what I try I have as of yet not been able to install desktop software that doesn't keep looking for the 8330.msi fileLike so many posts before, it keeps asking for it and I have to go through a couple minutes of closing popping error messages until I can use the computer again.

I am certain that this started when I upgraded my desktop software from the version on the cd to a newer version.

Except for just biting the bullet and erasing my hard drive and re-installing the OS is there any other way of getting the desktop software to workAnything?????

It is extremely frustrating.....

Thanks

Message Edited by bigtuna on 04-15-2009 10:40 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bayarsaikhan
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Mobicom

Hi. all

I just bought BB-9530 and tried to install desktop software in my PC from CD brought with BB. Unfortunately after few minut start installing it say no device available and then refused to install it. Then i tried to download from BB site for that, again middle of the downloading it suddenlt stops. What i should do to get Blackberry Desktop Software v4.7.0.75 platform? Please anyone help me?

Regards

Bayarsaikhan 

Bayaramc
Please use plain text.