Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
hfairbrother
My Device: Not Specified

Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

I cannot successfully install and use any version of the Blackberry Desktop software.  The problem started when I tried to install the desktop software on my new computer from a file I downloaded and stored on an external hard drive that had been attached to my old computer.  The install/uninstall programs lists Blackberry desktop 4.2.2.  It appeared to install correctly, but when I try to use it,  I get a message saying the program is trying to use a network resource that is not available, and looks in a temp directory for this "Blackberry 8310.msi" file.  There is also a program listed as "Blackberry v4.2.2 for the 8310 series wireless handheld"  When I try to uninstall it, it looks for that same .msi file.

I'd like to be able to sync my calendar with my phone. 

Does anyone know what I should do?  I followed the clean uninstall directions, and that didn't make a difference.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

there is an error of conception in the Desktop Manager installer. It will decompress (=unzip) in a temporary files of Windows, but later will still want to access the files... long after Windows has done some files removing in that temp folder.

My suggestion is to uninstall the Desktop Manager,
download the installer again, decompress it in a folder that you will keep, and launch the installation from that new location.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
SDR
New Contributor
SDR
My Device: 8830

Re: Installation of Blackberry Desktop Software fails: looking for Blackberry 8310.msi file

Xandrex, I am having the same problem (along with a few others).  I hate to sound like a novice, but how do I decompress into a folder other than temp?  Whether installing from the website, or saving to my desktop and then installing, it unzips without giving me a choice of where to put the files.  Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

SDR wrote:
Xandrex, I am having the same problem (along with a few others).  I hate to sound like a novice, but how do I decompress into a folder other than temp?  Whether installing from the website, or saving to my desktop and then installing, it unzips without giving me a choice of where to put the files.

Hello,

I don't have the install at home so my answer will be approximate. when you get the .exe file, it is in fact a zip file with a small launcher that knows it has to unzip the stuff in your temp file.

What you need is a decompression tool to decompress without that launcher. You can install 7Zip that is quite good for those things.
You can also try WinZIP or winRAR or winACE but those are not free-of-charge.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Once you have installed this tool, just open 7Zip and browse to the .exe file. click on it, there should be a button "Extract". Choose a folder (somewhere on your Desktop for example) and wait for the decompression to finish.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
SDR
New Contributor
SDR
My Device: 8830

Many thanks.  7Zip worked great. 
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddaniels
My Device: 8310 Curve

Xandrex

I read your reply re: keeping unzipped in local folder. I've been doing that and I'm still not able to install desktop manager 4.6 (with or without media) and now I'm trying with desktop manager 4.5 (without media manager) and the installer is AGAIN hanging for well over an hour now at registering modules.

Monday is around the corner and I need my blackberry 8310 for work on the road. One of the 5 msiexec.exe (in task manager) is running continuously at%90+ of CPU...

Please help.

Dennis

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
seanlbrooks
My Device: Not Specified

Xandrex, I trying your fix here in this thread. However I'm a little confused on one part. You suggest a unzip of the exe.file. Can you be more specific on which exe.file?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

when you download the DesktopManager installer, you download a *.exe file. it's that file I am talking about.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jlavik
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

I have tried all of these items, but for some reason they don't seem to work.  I've tried installing the original version from the CD and the latest version 4.7 from online.  I'm also having trouble even closing the dialog box of the windows installer that is looking for the installation package "BlackBerry 8330.msi".

Is there an easy way to get this dialog box to close properly so that I can attempt to fix this issue?  Or some sort of uploadable patch that would correct this error?  I've been trying all of these various suggestions over the past 2 days and becoming very frustrated.

Thanks for any help,

Josh

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

I think it's your Windows installation that you should check first.
you can try sandra for example.

Please use plain text.