Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
JMKamensky
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Installed BBDM 5.0 and it does not connect to device

I upgraded from BBDM 4.6 to 5.0 and ever since the BBDM does not recognize my 8330 Curve.  Followed the troubleshooting prompts and they did not seem to work. Did a soft reset and that didn't fix it either.  Still get "none" in the PIN field on the lower-right of the BBDM home page. Any other suggestions?  . . . I upgraded because the Roxio Media Manager was not working in 4.6, nor was I able to synchronize contacts or calendar with Lotus Notes 8, so rolling back does not seem like a good option.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Installed BBDM 5.0 and it does not connect to device

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

Try disconnecting the BlackBerry from the PC, turn the PC off and allow it to reboot.

Meanwhile, With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Make certain your  USB cable is conneced to a REAR usb port on the PC, not a USB hub or front PC port.

Try the connection again.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JMKamensky

I tried each of the steps you suggested and no luck.  Reinstalled BBDM 5.0 and the desktop rfinally ecognized my device . . . until I clicked on Roxio Media Manager.  The Desktop Manager then crashed and when I re-started the program, it would not recognize my device.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

ughhh... you know what, I NEVER recommend to people to install Roxio.

You should delete that version of Desktop Manager from your PC. Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > and remove it.

Then download and install DM version 5.0 without the Media Software.

Download Desktop Manager from here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JMKamensky

Yep, that works. But why would Blackberry (and Roxio) include software that doesn't work in the "Blackberry experience?"  I would like the capability to actually use the media components on my device and move things back-and-forth to my computer.  I went with BB Curve because I thought it had a reputation for being a stable and reliable platform (I've heard stories about Storm, Pre, and iPhone).  Maybe the technology just isn't up to the hype. . . .
Please use plain text.
JSanders

It works for many, but honestly (I think) the Roxio software is just large and clunky bloatware.

For one, RIM also gave you a very simple way of transferring media without using the Media manager software.

Using the Roxio software, to me, it's like using a transfer truck to move one small box across town.

Instead, just enable Mass Storage on your Media Card, and drag and drop your files from the PC to the Media card at will.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.