Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
emmabelle47
My Device: Not Specified

Interruption While Installing CD

I am trying to install the CD that came with my phone onto my mom's Dell (I'm a Mac user).  Everytime I start the set-up it says its been interrupted and I can't finish.  What does this mean?  Its a Vista system if that helps.  She has an older XP that installed the CD just fine, but I can't get it to read my phone.  It says its unknown and I can't connect to the internet on that computer to download any neccessary device drivers.  Any help would be great, Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Interruption While Installing CD

Does it say what version of the Desktop Manager is on the CD. I just looked up the different versions, and everything from version 4.2 Service Pack 1 support Vista. Is it possible to download the latest version (4.6) from here on another computer and transfer it to your mom's Dell on a flash drive?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
emmabelle47

It doesn't say what the version is on the CD, but I even tried downloading the new version and an older version on the Vista Dell and they both did the same thing.  The CD installed on the XP Dell, but when I plug in my phone, a message pops up saying it detects an USB device, but its "unknown".  I'm not super familiar with Windows OS, but I'm assuming a driver has to be downloaded for it to read it.  I can download something on the Vista and use a flashdrive to transfer it to the XP, but I'm not sure what to download to make it work.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
emmabelle47

The CD says its 4.3.  When I open the CD and click to install, as soon as the wizard pops up, it says "the wizard was interrupted before Blackberry Desktop Software could be completely installed.  Your system has not been modified.  To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."  And running it again does not work.  And it says this when I tried downloading it (thinking it might be the CD) and when I tried downloading the USB and Modem Drivers (meant to say this and try to install it on the XP system but accidently hit "run" instead and it still gave me that message.)  I am now completely confused....  And still really glad I use a Mac.  :-)
Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

[ Edited ]

Do other CDs install fine? Since Vista is on the computer is your mom's account an administrator account? Also try to install it by right-clicking on the EXE file and choosing the 'Run As Administrator' option. Just want to rule out if it's a permissions issue.

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 08-21-2008 11:02 PM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Please read this article from the knowledgebase on Vista and Compatible Desktop Manager sotware:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05468&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Also make sure you make a clean install of Desktop software:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Please let me know if this helps!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-23-2008 03:22 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.