Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
mseeya
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Location of Saved Text messages and Downloads please as wish to update device software

I have a Blackberry 9300. I notice whilst testing 'restore' option in Blackberry Desktop Software that 'Saved messages' was greyed out therefore not able to restore and Downloaded programs were not listed as being backed up so I am delaying the update from OS 6 bundle 1879 to OS 6 bundle 2949 until I can have these questions resolved. Firstly, where are my saved text messages would they be located on the SD card? Secondly, where are the downloaded apps and how would I restore them, would I have to reinstall them individually or would there be a better method as I am guessing updating the device software would wipe out any reference to them? Thanks in advance, Marcia
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Location of Saved Text messages and Downloads please as wish to update device software

Hello,

For reference, the backup/restore process works on the primary databases on the BB, which are listed here:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

All databases are in the protected AppMemory space, not on the SD card, Device Memory, or any other accessible space.

Apps themselves are not even part of the normal backup/restore process...actually, I advise never trying to actually restore apps (there are some methods to attempt that) due to potential incompatibilities between the OS level you were on when you backed up versus the OS level at time of restore. A fresh install of all apps is, IMHO, much "healthier", and avoids any potential incompatibilities.

Secondly, I don't see "Saved Messages" but rather "Saved Email Messages" in that KB...is it different in your Desktop Software interface? From all I can see, text messages are one database, regardless of the "saved" condition or not.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mseeya

Re: Location of Saved Text messages and Downloads please as wish to update device software

Thanks sdgardne, that was most interesting. Soas I was afraid, the consensus is to reinstall the apps after upgrading the OS. In which case, my problem I think will be that most of the downloads and installs were from the Blackberry web, although 'My World' lists the apps, I only have the option to delete them and not reinstall them again if I so choose. Therefore I need to dig a little more on the aspect of there location. I was also interested to read your information on the smartphone primary database which made me wonder if it was at this location the saved text messages were sited. I mention it as I do save some of my text messages which I can view at any time by selecting 'View Saved Messages' from the text msgs menu, which lists both emails and text messages you saved. Backing up email messages elsewhere is no problem but backing up Saved text messages does not seem to be an option, that is why I would need to check this feature before upgrading the device software. Much appreciate your answer to that one. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

willismc wrote:
my problem I think will be that most of the downloads and installs were from the Blackberry web, although 'My World' lists the apps, I only have the option to delete them and not reinstall them again if I so choose. Therefore I need to dig a little more on the aspect of there location.

To re-install your apps, please see this KB:

• KB17625 How to install or transfer previously purchased applications from BlackBerry App World to a BlackBerry smartphone

You also may need to clear the AppWorld application cache:

1. Open App World

2. Go to My World

3. Follow one (and only one!) of these steps:

3a. For keyboard-based BB's -- Hold down the ALT key and then press, in sequence R, then S, then T

3b. For Touch Screen Only BBs -- Hold the num-lock (!?123) button so it locks and then press, in sequence 3, then 4, then (

3c. For newer (e,g., OS6 and 7) BB's, see this KB:

• KB24714 How to clear the BlackBerry App World cache

4. AppWorld should close.

5. If your BB locks after issuing the cache clear, perform a battery pull reboot

6. Return to AppWorld/MyWorld (it may be sluggish while it re-synchronizes).

If step (4) does not happen as listed, then the clear cache did not work.

willismc wrote:
I was also interested to read your information on the smartphone primary database which made me wonder if it was at this location the saved text messages were sited. I mention it as I do save some of my text messages which I can view at any time by selecting 'View Saved Messages' from the text msgs menu, which lists both emails and text messages you saved.

The Messages Interface acts against the Databases on the BB...viewing saved messages may be as simple as a filter that is applied, to display just those, but still coming from the same database. Also understand that "Messages" is a super-set term, with "email", "SMS", and other types of messages being subsets.

willismc wrote:
Backing up email messages elsewhere is no problem but backing up Saved text messages does not seem to be an option, that is why I would need to check this feature before upgrading the device software. Much appreciate your answer to that one.

As I said, I suspect Saved SMS Messages to be a sub-set of the entire "SMS Messages" super-set database, with "saved" messages being a subset within that database.

I cannot answer definitively for you as I've never had the issue you are having. You may need to test to find out for sure.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mseeya

Thanks once again. I really appreciate your efforts. I'm not going to attempt your suggestion at this stage as some of the saved text messages that I have, contain attachments which I wish to keep so I'm going to find some other way of copying them easily if possible to another source elsewhere, for easy referencing, as there's a fair few of them, so its going to take some time.

So I have copied all of the information you've supplied (including the KB pages) particularly with reference to clearing the cache and reinstalling from Blackberry Apps World..

And yes, I have learned of Blackberry's confusion where it refers to both emails and sms as Messages. :-) Right from the time I purchased the mobile!

So I am going to put this issue as being resolved at this stage.

Thank you sdgardne

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.