Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
Leibetseder
My Device: 8800
My Carrier: Vodafone

MS Outlook 2007 calendar categories

Hi folks,

I cannot imagine that my BB 8800 with the BB desktop 5.0.1. and the device frim ware 4.5.0.174 isn't able to sync the MS outlook 2007 categories with the BB canlendar.

Where is the trick? I'm sure that there is a RIM solution. Many thanks!

Regards, Sebastian

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iankrom
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint (Their the best)

Re: MS Outlook 2007 calendar categories

Hi Sebastian,

Would you be more specific on the issue you are experiencing?

Leibetseder wrote:
isn't able to sync the MS outlook 2007 categories with the BB canlendar.

Currently I'm having trouble with mapping fields for Calendar in Outlook '07.  Both 'Start Time' and 'Private' are not populating the side for Microsoft Outlook when configuring sync from the BlackBerry Desktop Software 5.0.1.  In my Office '03 version at home it's there.  Like to know how to set these fields for Office '07?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Leibetseder

Hi,

I use the categories of the Outlook calendar to color the different events (private, company, important, family, ...). It's easier then to take care of the different groups of events. Outlook let you combine a color and a category. But the BB desktop has no "category" to sync in the calendar application. Interesting: notes or contact have  do a category to sync.

I hope it's clear? English is not my foreign language.

I don't have the problem you described. Sorry.

Regards, Sebasti8an

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
er2joe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

I also use categories to color my appointments in the Outlook calendar. I have never been able to categorize BB appointments. It retains what I set from Outlook, but I cannot set it from the BlackBerry side.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Leibetseder

I also set the colored categories in Outlook but I want not to loose them while a sync with BB as it usually happens after a firmware update of the device. There must be a solution: It works for the notes and contacts.

Big brains of RIM, where are you?

Sebastian

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
er2joe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)

I don't lose the categories when I sync. The only time I have lost the categories is if I edit the appointment on the BlackBerry.

"Big brains of RIM" do not necessarily read this forum. This is a user-to-user forum. Sometimes RIM employees post here, but not all that often (compared to the number of posts). I suspect they read much more than they post, but who knows?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iankrom

Unfortunately the Map Field "Categories" is not an option in the BB device specifically for appointments/calendar, or at least not in the BB Curves.  Maybe in the near feature a device software update will include this field.  It's sure surprising how "Categories" is available in other areas like Tasks though.  There's quite a few more fields from Outlook that would be nice to include in BB devices.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
iankrom

I've resolved my mapping fields issue, if you recall from MS Outlook I was missing the 'Start Time' and 'Private'.  I just uninstalled / reinstalled BB Desktop Software and then reselected my mail profile again and it cleared itself up.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TreeDoctor
My Device: Torch 9800

I'm hugely relieved to have come up with a solution.... :Clap:    The BB calendar doesn't support categories, and RIM seems indifferent to the problem, so just forget about that....    but at least now I can sync Outlook (2007/Win 7) with multiple Google calendars, using an absolutely wonderful product, which I just discovered, calleg gSyncit.   Then I use Google Sync to sync Google calendars with my BB.    Unless you want to go through the incredible mess of installing multiple "dummy" gmail accounts to create multiple calendars on the BB, all the events will be in the same calendar, and will have the same color, but at least all the events will be there, and they sync correctly with Google, and subsequently, back to Outlook.  

I created a Google calendar called "New Events from BB".  New events created on the BB calendar are synched back to this calendar.  I've given it a bold color so that any new events stand out prominently.   Then, either logged in to Google, or in Outlook I can transfer any new event created on the BB to whichever calendar or category it actually belongs to.  (I've discovered that you can set category on BB address book, but not in the calendar.   This really makes me mad, as the BB obviously reads this database field in the calendar as well, but then doesn't allow the user to edit it.)  

It's still a bit kludgy....  but it works....  I've been battling this issue for months, so right now, I feel nothing but relief. 

Please use plain text.