Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
DaveTaylor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T Mobile
Accepted Solution

Missing font for Desktop 6 in XP ?

I installed the same download of 600_b047_multilanguage.exe on two separate xp machines selecting US English in both cases.  One one machine the desktop software looks fine, but on my laptop the fonts are all just boxes.  Any ideas ?  Do I need to have a special font loaded ?

bb_desktop_fonts.png

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Missing font for Desktop 6 in XP ?

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

It seems to me that when you installed the Desktop Software, you may have accidentally installed it using a language that is different from English (possibly an Asian or Cyrillic font?).  Unless your computer has the availbility to view that font type, you would see the squares that you're currently seeing.  Try to uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software via Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.  Be sure to choose the option to remove all user settings when prompted.  Once this has been completed, you can simply reinstall the software and this time be particularly careful to ensure you install the correct language version.

I hope this helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DaveTaylor

I uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop software and I know for certain that I selected the US English - that is not the issue.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

So this happened both times you installed the Desktop Software?

You don't need any special fonts for English, especially if your laptop is already setup in English.  Can you try going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings and ensure that everything is set to English (US).

Beyond this, the only thing I can think is that something is interferring with the installation of the language files.  Do you have an antivirus program installed?  Try disabling it and then try reinstalling the Desktop Software again.  Some antivirus programs have been known to interfer with the installation of various programs and there is a chance that could be happening here.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DaveTaylor

SOLVED !!

I just copied all the fonts from the computer on which desktop displays OK on to my laptop and presto - desktop now displays properly. See new screenshot.  I don't know which font was missing but that was the only thing I changed to get this to work

.after_fonts_copied.png

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Very bizarre!  But I'm glad you got it to work!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
C_McD
My Device: Z30 10.2.1.2141; PlayBook 64 GB OS 2.1.0.1753
My Carrier: VZW USA

Hey I just ran into this issue...

Any font guru's know where this might be occurring?

I had a display problem and some how when I got the display working again, the same problem exhibited itself, but only for DM... none of the other software has an issue?

I hesitate to reinstall DM because it's been so stable - I know one of the later versions would not work on my XPP machine and gave up worring about it last year.

I'm fairly sure I'm running DM 6.x

Maybe it's a Registry issue.

DeviceManager.JPG

After051313-Repair.JPG

We're all out here together...
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
C_McD
My Device: Z30 10.2.1.2141; PlayBook 64 GB OS 2.1.0.1753
My Carrier: VZW USA

Well, I finally tried uninstalling DM and reinstalling a couple times (610_b038) and in between tried deleting Fntcache.dat and even tried copying the Font files from a back (which blew up) but may have helped.

Anyway, my DM fonts are readable now... Sigh, just wish I knew for sure what did the trick.

We're all out here together...
Please use plain text.