Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

jassythedog
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: 07777 333888

Re: Oh my god!!! Who approved Desktop Software 7.0???!!!!

You can get a copy of version 6 from AT&T website here https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads It still crashes on my PC but it may be of help to you.
Please use plain text.
kdoog
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

With the substandard software and inability to keep up with their competition, I can only assume that

1. everyone at RIM HQ must use a device other than a BB, and hence could care less about their product, or

2.  everyone at RIM HQ is so insular they only use BB products and have never used their competitions devices so they don't know what they are missing

the newest version of their desktop software is a prime example.  I used to be a proud BB user, and loved their products.  Not anymore, as I'll be switching away from RIM soon; I held on as long as I could. 

The good news for the RIM company: they will soon be gone, but never forgotten, as they will go down in history as a classic example of a crash and burn business model, forever taught in business theory classes.  

So long RIM. (sniff, sniff)

Please use plain text.
Dunacting
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Virgin

Everything waqs working fine until I upgraded to version 7 desktop software and then everything went wrong.

It took me some time to stop the software from working and crashing.

I've now reverted to version 6 and everything is OK again.

I've turned off the update desktop software.

Please use plain text.
sebik
My Device: Bold 9700; BBPB 16G
My Carrier: O2

funny... had the same problem. I sorted it out by installing back DM 6.1.0 version but now I'm not able to connect my BBPB as it automaticly tries to install DM 7 again. Gosh!! Now what?

It's Head 22

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BUCKFUSBY
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: O2

I tried to get in contact with Blackberry, but no joy, then found that you can give them feedback, so I did. With one minute I got a e-mail from them saying that "This was a tech request" and told me to use their support forums.  So I e-mailed them back and informed them that it was feedback and have heard nothing since.

I did re install the 6.xx desktop software, but it wouldn't work properly or sync with outlook.

My only option now is to talk to my carrier about changing my contract from Blackberry to another smart phone.

I am not suprised that the company is going down if this forum is the total amount of tech support they are willing to give.

( No insult to the guys trying to help, shame that some of the Blackberry staff don't feel that they should be helping )

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

A quick clarification for those seeking RIM responses in this forum...

By contract, RIM provides zero formal front line support, and RIM folks only occasionally post in this forum. The carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers take on, by contract, ALL front line support for ALL BB products and services. They have the power to escalate cases into RIM at no charge to end users...but, as per the contracts that everyone (RIM, the carriers/resellers/service centers, and even the end users) are bound to, end users have no "free" direct path into RIM. Issues must be escalated via the formal channels to receive adequate attention from RIM. Think of it this way...if 10 of the people here try to complain to RIM, that is 10 complaints. But, if 10 carriers complain to RIM, that would carry significantly larger weight.

FYI -- It has been debated at length, here in these forums, the relative merits (de-merits, in the view of many) of that support model...but it is what it is and no power contributing here can change it.

One last observation...yes, there are plenty of complaints about problems with the 7.0 Desktop Software release. But, my judgement (having participated here for several years now) is that the level of complaint is no better nor worse than prior major changes RIM has made. For myself, I never expect perfection...things designed and built by humans are, by definition, prevented from reaching perfection. Further, the information that we do hear about is predominately from those who have problems...we hear almost nothing from those who have no problems and for whom the change works just fine. So, it's actually impossible to say with any empirical definition that the quantity of problems is so bad that RIM should never have released the package. Rather, what is possible to say is that many people do have problems...and, while that's not a good thing per se, my own subjective judgement is that the quantity of the population having problems is, percentage wise, no worse than any prior change.

That does not, in any way, diminish the problems faced by those who are facing difficulties. But, to extend that to, as this thread implies, an intention that the new Desktop Software should never have been released is, IMHO, a bit of a stretch.

Good luck to all!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rong8s
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Vzw

[ Edited ]

Is there a fix anywhere for this sync error:  "CRTtranrec::getlinkedrecordid : Invalid linked record ID"?  Using Desktop Software version 7.0.0.59. Worked fine with prior DM (610_b038_multilanguage).

Sync Log indicates successfully synced 1098 records.  Sync log entry ends with "End Sync with Error 2" on a specific numbered record:  recId = 00000000FD8674F7817CDA419CECC69381984582C45F2000.  What is "Error 2"?  Is there any way to identify which Outlook 2010 record is associated with the recID error displayed in the sync log? 

Problem appears to be in Outlook contacts.  Calendar syncs fine when deselect Contacts.  Not syncing anything else.

Assume there is something in the Outlook record (contact) that is causing the problem. One would have to think that RIM tech support could easily determine what in the Outlook contact record is causing the problem.  I have multiple Contact Lists/sublists.  Use "&" and "/" in my Outlook Contact list titles.  I'm thinking this could be the issue but not exactly hot about renaming all my lists at this point.

BlackBerry Bold 9930, Software Version 7.1 Bundle 457 (v7.1.0.163, Platform 5.1.0.137)

MS Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Outlook 2010 x64

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

rong8s wrote:

Is there a fix anywhere for this sync error:  "CRTtranrec::getlinkedrecordid : Invalid linked record ID"?  Using Desktop Software version 7.0.0.59. Worked fine with prior DM (610_b038_multilanguage).

Sync Log indicates successfully synced 1098 records.  Sync log entry ends with "End Sync with Error 2" on a specific numbered record:  recId = 00000000FD8674F7817CDA419CECC69381984582C45F2000.  What is "Error 2"?  Is there any way to identify which Outlook 2010 record is associated with the recID error displayed in the sync log?

No KB exists that I can find that lists "Error 2", so I don't know what that one is. Many have found that, if they export their contacts from Outlook, the order the records are in will be the same order that the Synchronization process is...I do not know if that remains true or not with the latest Desktop Software. Otherwise, I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

When you scroll up and read this thread, you will discover that formal RIM tech support is not available via this forum, for that is not part of the charter of this site.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rong8s
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Vzw

Thx.  Read your "start over" procedure before I posted.  It will be much easier to just uninstall 7 and reload version 6 -- did it once before.  I assumed RIM fixed the issues from an earlier 7.0 release (bundle 44, later recalled), but silly me.  Not interested in going through the "start over" process to find the same problems still exist.

Have to agree with some of the earlier posts.  One reason for staying with BB was the business emphasis and robust desktop software designed for compatibility with Outlook -- only poor 3rd party contact management software availble for the iPhone/Droid ... as yet.  Having mobile access to my contacts is critical to my business and I don't have time to screw around with slipshod software that can't be relied on.   Been a dyed-in-the-wool BB user for well over 10 years, but RIM needs to get their act together soon or all the old holdouts (me, in particular) are going to be jumping ship.

Thx for the quick response.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

rong8s wrote:

Thx.  Read your "start over" procedure before I posted.  It will be much easier to just uninstall 7 and reload version 6 -- did it once before.  I assumed RIM fixed the issues from an earlier 7.0 release (bundle 44, later recalled), but silly me.  Not interested in going through the "start over" process to find the same problems still exist.

The start over can be used with different Desktop Software versions (links to which can be found in post 15 of that thread)...but sometimes the cleansing things it contains are critical to success with any Desktop Software version. But, I control nothing...I merely recommend...you control your destiny.

rong8s wrote:

Have to agree with some of the earlier posts.  One reason for staying with BB was the business emphasis and robust desktop software designed for compatibility with Outlook -- only poor 3rd party contact management software availble for the iPhone/Droid ... as yet.  Having mobile access to my contacts is critical to my business and I don't have time to screw around with slipshod software that can't be relied on.   Been a dyed-in-the-wool BB user for well over 10 years, but RIM needs to get their act together soon or all the old holdouts (me, in particular) are going to be jumping ship.

So, I guess you consider the quantity of reports to be a sufficient portion of the total population to deem the release a failure? In my mind, that's a bit of a stretch...but, again, I control nothing.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.