08-01-2012 03:22 PM
Wish I had read the forums before blindly upgrading to the new version of the desktop software on my PC. After upgrading, all attempts to synchronize failed and I wasted many hours looking for problems elsewhere. Then I tried syncing to my laptop which had version 6.1 and everything worked fine. Version 7 was clearly not tested properly and should never have been released. To make things worse, RIM removed downloads of 6.1 from its website. After purging version 7 from my PC, I went to a third party website to download and install version 6.1. Everything is working fine now.