Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
break360bb
My Device: Rogers 8700
My Carrier: Rogers

Restore BB Backup from a Rogers 8700 to Rogers 8520

Hello,

I have a secondary BB device (8700) that I keep as a backup, but want a current backup copy of my 8520. However, each time I attempt to restore an 8520 backup to the 8700, I get a error message at the end saying something about it was unable to complete. After checking the 8700 Address Book, none of the new entries from my 8520 were transferred over.

My question, is there a way to restore a 8520 backup to an 8700 device? The 8700 used to save my backups as .ipd and the 8520 saves them as .bbb

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Restore BB Backup from a Rogers 8700 to Rogers 8520

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

IPD and BBB backup files are not compatible...but it's not your device that is causing them to be different from each other. Rather, you must be doing this on different computers...for it is the version of the Desktop Software that controls the format of the file that is created during a backup, not the model number of your BB.

You need to be using the same version of the Desktop Software for both the backup and the restore process. That way, the format of the file will be compatible with both devices.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
break360bb
My Device: Rogers 8700
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks very much for the advice sdgardne. I was actually doing the backup from two different locations (home + office), so I'll try again from one location. Much appreciated !!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are welcome. Note please that the computer creating the IPD files has installed the OLDER version of the Desktop Software. BBB files are created by the newer versions.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.