Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

Contributor
JNNili
My Device: Curve 8310

Restore error: "the data was not recognized by the desktop"

While attempting to restore data to my new BB (8310) that I got through insurance, i keep getting the error "the data was not recognized by the desktop" during restore. The same thing happens when I attempt to open the file in advanced restore.  I've tried using every single desktop version since 4.3 and nothing has worked.  The only legitimate reference to this problem that i found is...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05241&slic...

The only thing is that I don't have a memory card in there right now.  I'm assuming that for some reason my backup may be trying to put more things on there than can fit on the phone, thus resulting in the error message?  I sincerely doubt that though because otherwise i would at least be able to OPEN the file in the advanced restore menu.

Appreciate any help, i really want my contacts back.  On a side note, i can open the file in excel (if that matters).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Restore error: "the data was not recognized by the desktop"

[ Edited ]

HI there!

I applaud you for seeking out the KB! Excellent!

But -- not quite. A Media Card is irrelevant to this. Restore puts data in AppMemory, which is where all applications are installed and application data is stored (emails, calendar, contacts, etc.). So, it is AppMemory that is the problem.

Try this:

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.

Then immediately, without doing anything else with the BB, start the restore. The reboot will clear out AppMemory to the highest amount it can be and hopefully allow the restore process to work.

You also should attempt the advenced restore, but restoring only limited information...only what you need (e.g., only Contacts and nothing else).

Best!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 09-02-2009 01:40 PM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JNNili

[ Edited ]

I attempted a hard reboot, and did it again just now.  No difference at all.  I feel as if the problem has to do with the file-desktop manager as the error points to the desktop, not the handheld device. 

In regards to advanced restore, I get the error message as soon as I select the file before I actually even do anything.  Any other suggestions?

FYI, backup file is 8.73mb

Message Edited by JNNili on 09-02-2009 05:15 PM
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hmmm...sorry to say that I'm not terribly familiar with this part of things...being on BES, I never worry about backing up my data since my BES/Exchange environment is my primary data source.

I've asked some others who I know have better knowledge than I to pop in and provide some assistance...stand by...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

that is a big backup file

my biggest is 3.87 MB

All I can think of is that the backup is damaged

try getting the backup to another PC, install DTM and try loading it from there, see if you get the error

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JNNili

I think that the file somehow got corrupted.  Gotta love how that stuff happens.  Luckily I can see the file in excel so I'll just have to add each one individually.  Unless anybody has any more ideas...?  Any way to repair the corrupted file?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Have you read this?

KB03953 Switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone and restore data from a backup file.

"To load the data from the .ipd file to the new BlackBerry smartphone:

1. Remove the Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card from your old
    BlackBerry smartphone and insert it into the new BlackBerry smartphone.
    For instructions, see “Setting up your handheld” in the Getting Started
    Guide.
  2. Connect the new BlackBerry smartphone to your computer.
  3. When prompted to switch your email account to the connected BlackBerry smartphone, click No.

Note: If you
    switch your email account now, the BlackBerry smartphone will encounter
    an error when you attempt to restore data to the BlackBerry smartphone
    from the backup file."

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09

another 3rd party sofwtare that allows you opent he backup and grab info

http://www.processtext.com/abcblackberry.html

trial for 30 days, good program for that 30 days, I hear they arent a pleasant company to purchase from though

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JNNili

[ Edited ]

I did not set up my e-mail on my BB....so that's outa the question.

And kudos for the program, I'll at least hopefully be able to read the info in a better format.

Still hoping for something?  running out of hope though.

***EDIT***

I can't seem to transfer it into any format...you're supposed to merge the file, right?  i couldn't find any convert function.

Message Edited by JNNili on 09-02-2009 08:04 PM
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09

the trial version allows you to convert to excel or pdf or multiple others but it only allows you to do 3 records at a time. but yuo can open the records and copy paste to anything else

if tis contacts, copy and paste into OE, or outlook or something like that, then you can sync to your new BB

Please use plain text.