Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
LuvBBHateRoxio
My Device: Not Specified

Roxio keeps trying to install, have searched forums for answer, need help

Hello,

About a month ago I bought an 8300 series Curve.  That night I tried installing Desktop Manager with Roxio, had lots of problems, read the forums, and decided against using Roxio.  I unintalled everything (so I thought), and reinstalled Desktop Manager without Roxio.  Everything was fine until this week.  The computer was on but not used for a couple days while I was out of town: upon my return I saw that Roxio was trying to install itself again.  I'm assuming an update was pushed out.  Now, I can't get rid of it.  I have uninstalled Blackberry Desktop software.  I have deleted everything from my computer that has 'Roxio' or 'Sonic' in its name.  I have run my registry tools in System Mechanic Professional.  It still keeps trying to install.  I even tried system restore.  I disabled Windows Installer in msconfig, now it just keeps popping the installer window up and closing it.  I can't download and install the Microsft Installer Cleanup utility mentioned on some forums because either a) I have disabled my installer, or b) when the installer is enabled, I get an error message telling me that another installation (aka the Roxio installation) is already in progress.

Surely, there must be some line in some code somewhere that I can get to and change so I can stop this thing from triggering Roxio to install.  And, how do I clean it off and ban Roxio from ever trying to install anything on my system again?  It's literally like some kind of virus.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LuvBBHateRoxio

Re: Roxio keeps trying to install, have searched forums for answer, need help

This is an addendum to my previous post:

I somehow was able to sneak in an install of the Microsoft Installer Cleanup utility.  But when I went to run it, Roxio or anything related was not listed at all.   So, that was not a good solution.

I tediously went through the entire registry and deleted all references to Roxio.  I re-enabled my Windows Installer.  Now, something keeps trying to install, but never references Roxio anymore.  The Windows Installer window pops up, then disappears.  This happens in spurts now: the window pops up about 3 to 5 times, then stops popping up for a minute or two, then starts again.  There's obviously one more registry reference that doesn't have 'Roxio' in the name.  If anyone knows it and can point me to it, I'd be grateful.

In the meantime, I now have to figure out how to fix the resolution on my monitor.  Obviously deleting some Roxio shared thing affected that, and I can't seem to find the right settings again.  I feel like suing Roxio for the time I wasted today!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LuvBBHateRoxio

Re: Roxio keeps trying to install, have searched forums for answer, need help

I seem to have fixed it.

I went back through the registry, searched for all "capture9" as well as "roxio" and "emc9" and deleted all of it.  The popping up of the install dialog box has ceased.  I restarted my computer just to see if it started to try and install again and it did not.  I did re-install Windows Media 11 just for good measure, just in case I wiped out any files it needed from the registry by accident.  All seems to be working now.  No more Roxio!! 

And, if anyone from Roxio reads these posts and cares: I will never, ever, EVER, knowingly buy and/or install anything that has anything to do with Roxio ever again.  I spent an entire day cleaning out your crap, and will never do it again.  From all of the other forum posts I found, I know this isn't just me.

Please use plain text.