08-06-2012 04:04 AM
I use a Blackberry Curve 8520
Just lately I have picked up a problem with the synchronization between my Blackberry and Laptop – working for the past year or more.
The first error message was:
“A program error occurred at line 131 in.\Error.cpp. Please report this error by sending a log to technical support”.
As a precaution I re-booted my handheld and also re-installed the software on my Laptop.
I then got the following message:
“CRTtrasColl:etDST TransInfoByName Empty nodelist for tag: Common TransTypeAndAttributes”
It goes through the whole process but nothing is sync’ed.
Please can you help me
08-13-2012 12:50 PM
Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.
Please have a look at the following article that covers error "A program error occurred at line 131 in .\Error.cpp. Please report this error by sending a log to technical support."
Recurring appointments of a specific pattern cause the sync to fail with an error message in BlackBerry® Desktop Software
10-10-2012 03:49 PM
When I updated to the most recent version of the desktop software a week ago, it broke my synchonization - error 131.... I have read the article, and I have no monthly recurring entries - still doesn't work. I think there may be a problem of an old deleted entry that doesn't appear in Outlook or my blackberry that was a recurring monthly appointment - I got a reminder for it today in Outlook, but the appointment isn't there OR on my blackberry. I think its not 100% deleted and maybe this is causing the trouble. Can't use my calendar on my device until this is fixed.
10-11-2012 05:29 AM
Seem to have it working not sure which of these actions sorted it.
Deletd FB app but not sure if I needed to or not.
I deleted FB which had associated itself with the Calendar, the phone rebboted.
Then I went into Options/Device/Advanced System Settings/Service Book and scrolled down to Facebook Calender CICAL and deleted it.
I went to BB Desktop Manager and went to Organizer/Calendar/Configure and changed sync direction to one way to device only. I then I checked sync upcoming entries only, synced the Calendar data only to test (unchecked the contacts, tasks and memos) and it worked.
Maybe the error is in a past entry on the phone Calendar and just switching to upcoming entries only avoids the problem.
As I say, the Facebook deletion and it's associated CICAL removal may not have been part of this problem, but I am sure glad to have one default diary instead of some appointements going to the default calendar and some to FB one.