Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
jorvosburgh
My Device: Curve 9330
My Carrier: Verizon

Uploading Address Book Back to Blackberry

I had previously transferred my Blackberry contacts to my PC using Blackberry Desktop Software.  It transferred them into a contact file (.contact).  I am not having problems transferring them back onto my Blackberry Curve 9330.  How do I do it.  I tried synchronizing my organizer data which is coming back saying complete but nothing is happening.  Also, I am getting an error message stating that there is an "Error opening data store accessor object".  Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
SmoothRider
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Uploading Address Book Back to Blackberry

Hello jorvosburgh

Welcome to the forums. 

Can you please explain the exact steps you took to create the backup of you contacts? What version of the BlackBerry Desktop Software are you using and what version of software is on your BlackBerry smartphone? With a bit more information we should be able to help you out. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jorvosburgh

Thank you for the response.  I am on version 7.1.0.37 and the software on my phone is 6.0 bundle 3084.  It is a Curve 9330.  To be quite honest with you I don't recall what steps I used to transfer the numbers to the software.  I could probably figure it out if you need that info.  Let me know.

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
SmoothRider
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

The steps you used would help as the normal process of using the BlackBerry Desktop Software would not create a .contacts file. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numberforty1
My Device: Bold 9930

I also have the "Error opening data store accessor object" message.  I have the most recent versions of the desktop software and software on my Bold 9930.  Trying to get my contacts onto this phone has been the most pathetic example of **bleep** integration I have ever seen.  Not only does BB's demo video for the desktop software not look anything like the actual software (the demo shows a Yahoo contacts option on the Organizer tab which does NOT exist in the actual software), but even the Windows Contacts option that does appear does not work at all!  How does Blackberry get away with putting out such **bleep**?

It's very simple.  I downloaded the desktop software, installed it, connected my phone, turned of wireless sync on my phone, went to Organizer/Contacts/Configure, selected Windows Contacts, and hit sync.  What do I get? "Error opening data store accessor object".

Pathetic.  Come on people, it shouldn't be that hard.  And all this after I spent an hour exporting my contacts from my web mail to my Windows Contacts.  Thanks for wasting my time BB.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jorvosburgh

I wan to say all I did was connect my phone and sync.  It was on a previous version of the Blackberry Desktop Software as I had actually transferred my contacts from a different blackberry (same model) about a year ago.  This has been extremely frustrating.  If I can't get these to upload I will have to manually enter over 200 contacts!!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jorvosburgh

Can someone please help?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

As was said above, I too have never heard of a ".contact" file. Given what you've described, you should have wound up with one of the following:

1) A .bbb or .ipd file -- created via the Desktop Software Backup process

2) Your data inside of your desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook), by virtue of the Desktop Software Synchronize process

3) A .csv file on your computer, created by (v6 and below) the Desktop Software Export process

With the native BlackBerry software and tools, that's all that could exist. So you see, your situation is quite strange indeed, as there's just no such thing as a ".contact" file from any of the tools that exist from BlackBerry.

So, with that additional information, can you perhaps shed some additional light on what exactly the source of your data is? If it's a ".contact" file, maybe it is actually a different file format, but you renamed it at some point? Maybe you can manipulate it on your computer to put it into a format that can actually be used by the tools that exist? You may have to try editing the file with various tools, renaming it to various things, and other attempts to try and figure out exactly what that ".contact" file really is. Until you know that, there's really no "next step" we can provide you...everything depends on the true format of the source data you wish to load...and, from ".contact", we can't tell anything for sure.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.