Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

rael-lowenthal
My Device: 9700 , 8900
My Carrier: VODACOM SA

WINDOWS INSTALLER PROBLEM WITH DESKTOP MANAGER

Please help!! I am a user of the Blackberry Desk Top Manager, running under Windows XP Service Pack 4.5. I recently downloaded the latest version of Desk Top Manager and I am getting the following error: - Flashing intermittently, whilst running the newly downloaded Desktop Manager - "Windows Installer Preparing to Install". I have removed the programme, downloaded it again from Blackberry's website and run my Windows updates to no available. I have now been advised that I must format my entire computer and reload Windows, which seems to be a rather onerous solution, as I have been using Blackberry's Synchronisation Programme for over a year successfully before this took place. I should appreciate it if you would let me know how this problem on my IBM Think Pad Laptop can be cured.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: WINDOWS INSTALLER PROBLEM WITH DESKTOP MANAGER

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Try the suggestions listed in the KB.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Windows Installer pop-up window prevents installation of BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
halimsujanto
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel

[ Edited ]

Hi all..

I am having the same problem with desktop software 6, but my problem is more like this..

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB19300

The Windows Installer pop-up during installation and cannot continue, it seems that windows installer 4.5 is the cause, but I cannot uninstall windows installer 4.5 because many of my programs were using this..

In this knowledge base solution it says to run BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi, but on BlackBerry Desktop Software 6, it need to run from setup.exe and cannot continue.. so I cannot install desktop software 6 on my computer, but I am able to install older version desktop software ie. version 4.2 to version 5.

I think that I am gonna reply here instead of making new thread about windows installer 4.5 and Desktop Software 6, please move if I did wrong.

PS. bifocals..

The link you provided is missing. or it just back to BlackBerry Technical Solution Center page and I tried searching the KB13781 with no success.

Please if there is other link that may be good for my problem.

Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

halimsujanto wrote:

Hi all..

I am having the same problem with desktop software 6, but my problem is more like this..

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB19300

The Windows Installer pop-up during installation and cannot continue, it seems that windows installer 4.5 is the cause, but I cannot uninstall windows installer 4.5 because many of my programs were using this..

In this knowledge base solution it says to run BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi, but on BlackBerry Desktop Software 6, it need to run from setup.exe and cannot continue.. so I cannot install desktop software 6 on my computer, but I am able to install older version desktop software ie. version 4.2 to version 5.

I think that I am gonna reply here instead of making new thread about windows installer 4.5 and Desktop Software 6, please move if I did wrong.

PS. Bifocals..

The link you provided is missing. Or it just back to BlackBerry Technical Solution Center page and I tried searching the KB13781 with no success.

Please if there is other link that may be good for my problem.

Thank you very much.

Hi ihalimsujanto and welcome to the forums!

My first concern is that you do have a version of desktop manager that you can maintain your device and PIM data with, do you?

Please post back with as much detail as possible regarding your hardware and software setup.

Also post what steps you have taken to resolve the issue. The more detail we have the better we can help you. I'll reread KB 19300 and find what happened to my broken link.

Thanks.

Bifocals

EDIT:

ihalimsujanto,

Please review this Microsoft Knowledgebase  Article ID: 555175

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

Methods 3 and 4 may be pertinent.

Let us know how it goes!

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
halimsujanto

[ Edited ]

Hi again

My first concern is that you do have a version of desktop manager that you can maintain your device and PIM data with, do you?

- I do now, I re-install windows and re-install desktop manager 4.2. 

Still no luck on desktop software 6 though.

Please post back with as much detail as possible regarding your hardware and software setup.

- WinXP SP3 ; Windows installer v.4.5 instead v.3 (provided by RIM).

- Maybe the only different is I set my program files folder different from system folder.. I put my program files in the D:\Program FIles.

But I could install any other programs fine.

Also post what steps you have taken to resolve the issue.

- For upgrading to desktop software 6 : NONE.

Please review this Microsoft Knowledgebase  Article ID: 555175

How to resolve Common "Windows Installer" Problems

Methods 3 and 4 may be pertinent.

- DId not work.. that is when I decided to reinstall windows, I wanted to put the program files into the default folder though and I am sure if I put the default install folder on C:\Program Files it would be ok, but I already have many other programs set to the other drive and I don't want to waste time reinstall them one by one.

I would love to have Desktop software 6 on my computer, but I don't mind using 4.2 either.

regards,

halim

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]
Hi Halim,
Could you tell me which of the 12 methods listed in the Microsoft KB you tried?
I  haven't installed any version of desktop manager on XP other than root C;\
Is the D:\ drive a partition ,a physically separate HDD or a network drive?
Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
halimsujanto

[ Edited ]

UPDATE! I am sorry, I thought its working, but it's not.

I can install Desktop Manager 4.2, but I cannot use it to manage my BlackBerry.. the error says it doesnt connected although i can see my pin on the status bar.

I am gonna try to clean re-install, and will post update.

Sorry for confusion.

Could you tell me which of the 12 methods listed in the Microsoft KB you tried?

- Just now I tried from 1 - 5. I wouldnt go beyond 5, because it looks like a lot to do.

Is the D:\ drive a partition ,a physically separate HDD or a network drive?

- D:\ is a partition, the same HDD with C:\

Is there any Application to remove all the BlackBerry softwares, registry, DLLs? like an uninstaller? I tried this method but still no success.. :

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/25937-how-perform-clean-uninstall-reinstall-blackberry-...

cheers,

Halim

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

The KB for how to remove/uninstall was in this thread. This is the updated version,

First, uninstall any version of DTM found on the system. Also delete any/all Devices OS's found.

KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Delete the following folders........

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Blackberry Desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>Application Data\Research In Motion

Run through the Microsoft KB 295823 and remove anything RIM related.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295823

Do a cold reboot of your PC (power off\on)

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
billhino
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Bifocals...

I am absolutly beside myself trying to figure this out. I have even turned off my virus software AND my firewall (with my internet disabled) and I STILL cannot get past the Windows Installer pop-up. Do you have any suggestions?

Bill

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Other than trying other parts of the Microsoft KB and all the parts of the uninstall procedure I'm out of suggestions. Can you post a screenshot of the pop up?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please use plain text.