Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
frustrated999
My Device: blackberry 9320
My Carrier: tmobile

data crash !!!!

help,

i had data on a blk berry 8900 and i also had data on a blkberry 9320. using the switch software for the pc, i took all the data from the 8900 and added to the 9320. something has gone wrong. when the transfer was complete, i got a mesage on my fone (9320)about back up..... ( NEVER READ IT COMPLTELEY) 

Now the information (pictures) had on my 9320 befoe the switch has gone ...help????

now i just want to remove the data i have added to 9320 ??? is this possible ??

help 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: data crash !!!!

I guess you are continuing from this thread?

I'm not at all sure what went wrong in the device switch...it is supposed to be very clean, but only of course if you follow it carefully. Given that you didn't read messages that were presented to you in the process, perhaps you skipped something important. I can't, though, tell at all from your post, anything about that. So, I'll just go with what you have requested:

frustrated999 wrote:

now i just want to remove the data i have added to 9320 ??? is this possible ??

Yes...there are several ways, depending on exactly what you want to remove. If you truly mean everything and want to return the 9320 to a "new" state, then the on-device WIPE will accomplish that:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

If you want to accomplish something less, then it's a bit more tedious...you can clear individual databases via this procedure:

• KB10167 How to clear the user content databases from the BlackBerry smartphone

If what you want to delete is not among the databases (KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list) and is instead files you've placed to either Device or Media card memory, then you can use the on-device file manager to delete them. Better still (and especially if you have multiple files to delete), using Mass Storage Mode will allow you to treat your BB as a USB storage device, and manage those files via your computer interface:

• KB11879 What is mass storage mode

So, all in all, I've had to make a bunch of guesses here as I have no way to know exactly the data you wish to eliminate. But, hopefully something here will be useful to you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
frustrated999

hey,

thanks for your feedback. the new data ive just added, i now want to remove. i want the fone back to its original state before the switch. before the switch, it had my emails, texts and photos. since ive complted the switch , they have dissapperead. i just want to remove the new data, and have the fone back to its original state

Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK that's very different than what I meant by "original state"...what I meant was factory original state, as if it was a brand new device, with nothing on it at all.

Your challenge is now greater...when you originally asked about all of this, I did not understand that you already had this "target" device doing anything...I thought you had an old device and this one was brand new, and you wanted to switch everything over to it. Hence, the Device Switch Wizard does exactly that, but it assumes that the target device is a factory new one, not one already in use for any purpose.

Your first step will be to conduct the full WIPE of this device. Then, depending on what you did when you didn't read the messages presented to you, you may or may not have a source from which to restore this device to what you consider it's "original" state. Look on your computer hard drive for files with either BBB or IPD extension (depending on the version of the Desktop Software you used, it could be either). Look for files that were created at the time you did whatever you did with this device. If there is a backup file taken from this device BEFORE it was replaced with everything from your "old" device, then you can use that backup file as the source of restore to this device:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file

If there is no backup file, then there is no source for restore, and all is lost. For instance, if that message you skipped over was about taking a backup from this device before proceeding, and you ignored it and took no backup, well then it did exactly what you told it to do...

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
frustrated999

ive tryed to restore...when it complted, the following message appeared on my phone 

"the backup files is corrupt. create another backup file and try again. or choose another restore  option"

all im trying to do is remove the data ive just added, and hopefully the pic, emails and texts will reappear.

all this modern technology, there must be a way

blackbery need to be clear, that when you are switching data between two devices,any data that is stored on the new device will be deleted. Ive just lost(or cant find) texts, and pics that were on the phone before the switch....

thanks for you assistance

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

frustrated999 wrote:

ive tryed to restore...when it complted, the following message appeared on my phone 

"the backup files is corrupt. create another backup file and try again. or choose another restore  option"

I suspect that the message you (earlier) said you skipped has caused this...

frustrated999 wrote:

all im trying to do is remove the data ive just added, and hopefully the pic, emails and texts will reappear.

No, that would be magic. And there is none of that here. The Device Switch process REPLACED what your BB had with what you transferred from the old BB. The data that was on this BB is gone from this BB. Period. Only a restore, from a valid source, can return what was here before.

frustrated999 wrote:

blackbery need to be clear, that when you are switching data between two devices,any data that is stored on the new device will be deleted..

Well, all of the KBs discuss the target device as being "new", so I suppose it's a matter of interpreting that particular word. From all I've learned, I'd never have expected anything that was resident on the target device to be preserved on the device itself...of course, that backup offer, during the process, that you somehow defeated (resulting in the corrupt backup file), would have been your salvation here. But, technology only does what we humans tell it to do...

Further, again from your original thread, I had no idea from your words that this target device had any existing data on it. Everything you asked for was provided, but you never said anything about the target device being in service already...and, given the way you asked your question, I did not intuit anything about your situation.

I am sorry that I did not intuit your situation...I normally am very clear about the details from folks (which, honestly, annoys some posters here!!), but simply did not intuit this subtle nuance in your situation.

Good luck, and again I am sorry.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.