Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Desktop Software for PC

New Contributor
mamalama
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

synchronization error

Synchronization Error: "An error has occurred during an attempt to ACCESS a device database record."

This error shows up when I attempt to sync my Torch 9850 to BB Desktop Software (7.1.0.32) .  It will not sync to Outlook at all, neither the address book contacts nor the calendar.  Please help!  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: synchronization error

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

While not exact ("update" instead of "access"), perhaps the remedies in these KBs might help:

• KB32420 BlackBerry Desktop Software displays "An error has occurred during an attempt to update a device database record." during contact synchronization
  • KB31752"Synchronization Error. An error has occurred during an attempt to update a device database record" appears during a wired address book synchronization with BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mamalama

Thank you for your quick response.  I have gone through both of the KBs you recommended step by step, and still get the same error.  My phone's device software is updated to 7.1.0.  I have gone though all of the contacts, searching for email errors, and didn't find any.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

FYI -- Unfortunately, 7.1.0 is not a complete device OS version...they are always 4 octets rather than just 3...refer:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

As for other ideas, those are what came from my searching the public KBs...perhaps you can search there and find more candidate articles that may be useful to your specific situation. Likewise searching these forums for other posts/threads that may contain useful information already published.

Failing that, I would next suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mamalama

Sorry about that.  My phone's device software is 7.1.0.580.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...and???

You see, it's now up to you to research and decide what to do. I have no idea if your OS is up to date or not...VZW prevents non-VZW customers from checking their system for current OS versions. Further, your BB OS may or may not be causal...it could be, but there's no way, at an internet distance, to tell you anything 100%.

What you need to do is read the rest of my post above. Inside of it, as well as what it links to, are resources for you to check your BB OS version and decide if updating might be a wise course of action for your situation. Likewise, there are instructions for cleanly starting over with the Desktop Software, as well as falling back to older Desktop Software versions if such might be useful for you.

I can't tell you what to do...I can give you options and resources of information...but the ultimate decision as to what to attempt lies solely with you.

If it were me, I'd update my BB OS to the most recent version I can find (regardless of carrier) and conduct the Desktop Start Over process, falling back to older versions if the behavior continues. If you need any guidance as to how to carry any of that out, just ask and we can provide it.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.