Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Device Synchronization

New Contributor
PGifford
My Device: BB Z10

Synchronization of Outlook 365 GAL and Blackberry Contacts

My Office 365, Blackberry Business Cloud Services customer would like to have solved without the manual administration of copying their shared contact list of over 4,000 external contacts.  We could load these into their Exchange 2013 Global Address List, but not sure how to get them back to their BB's.  It looks like the Lookup function could be used, but the individuals would just like to be able to enter the name in the To: line of their email and have it populate ...

They would be happy with just a central point for new updates, but having it replicate real-time to the BB users would be better than copying the master list of contacts to each of their personal Outlook contacts once a week.

Ideas?

Retired
MAD-VIKING
My Device: BlackBerry Z-10

Re: Synchronization of Outlook 365 GAL and Blackberry Contacts

Hello PGifford;

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your question.

The BlackBerry Business Cloud Service synchronizes with the Office 365 the same way an on-prem BlackBerry Enterprise Server syncs with an on-prem Exchange environment, in that if the PIM data on the user mailbox is updated, than that update will be issued to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to be synced with the device and vice versa, essentially a two way sync.

External contact lists can be either imported to the mailbox contact list, or imported into the BlackBerry device via BlackBerry Desktop Manager software; if two way sync is enabled, either of these methods will sync that data from one to the other.

A central point for new updates to internal contacts is the Global Address List. It depends on business needs if an organization requires that Global Address List to be added to the contacts of a user mailbox.

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this specific request.

BlackBerry Documents

BlackBerry Knowledgebase

MAD-VIKING
New Contributor
PGifford

Thanks Mad-Viking ... I am far from a BB guru (BES or O365/BBCS versions), but just want to make sure I understand what I think may be the best option for my client ...

We should be able to:

1) Set up the external contacts we want to share in the Exchange GAL (allowing centralized update of the list)

2) Set up syncing of the Exchange GAL to individual BB contact lists via BB Desktop Manager (one way - push syncing is preferred to the device, but we could explore 2 way synch); assume this can be configured to some (more than one) but not all BB users (based on individual requirements)

3) As changes (new / change / delete) are made to the Exchange GAL, these would be reflected to the individual's BB Contacts list real-time

4) This administration is done via BB Desktop Manager (assume that is the same as what I am seeing on blackberry.com as BB Web Desktop Manager, or is it something different).

Appreciate your expert level help ... I would like to tie this level of Business / Solution Analysis up in a nice bow and hand it off to the technical team supporting my client to test / implement.

Paul Gifford

New Contributor
PGifford

Sorry to bug you M-V ... have you had a chance to look at my request for clarification below? Paul Gifford (Calgary, Canada)
New Contributor
PGifford

Dear M-V or anyone else who knows BB Desktop Manager capabilties

My other Exchange / BB contacts are not giving me any hope of being able to take a reasonable size GAL (about 4,000 entries) and synch it to the Contacts on the users' BBs. 

Mad Viking's entry on my forum indicates in my interpretation, that this could be possible.  Please respond yes to my clarifying quesstions above.

Very much appreciated.

:Balloon: