Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Device Synchronization

Contributor
pradeepjey
My Device: Q10

Unauthorised POP E-mail access and download from BBCS IP

I've posted in the Q10 forum, but on further investigation, it seems this a better place to post.

I upgraded from a 9900 to a Q10 on UK carrier EE on Thursday 16th and my e-mail was setup as IMAP on the Q10.

Prior to that, it was also setup as IMAP on BIS for my 9900. I've never had BBCS setup. 

On Sunday 19th at just after 7pm UK time a whole load of mail disappeared from the server. Pretty much everything from April 18th to May 18th from the inbox and all sub-folders including sent items. I contacted my e-mail provider and they said there was POP access to my e-mail account at that time from an US IP registered to Blackberry. Moreover, it was pointed out to me on the Crackberry forums that it appears to a BBCS server.

Presumably, given the timing,  during that POP access the missing e-mails were downloaded from the server. But they're not on my phone or my previous phone.

So, why was there POP access to  my e-mail from this IP when I don't have BBCS, and my device is configured for IMAP access?

Where was my data downloaded to and how can I get it back?

Aside from the fact that  losing that much is a massive work headache, the fact so much data has been taken without explanation makes me very concered that this was some kind of data theft. Should I call the police?

Advice from the community would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd like someone from BB to contact me to get this sorted out.

Here is the info I got from my e-mail provider and from whatsmyipaddress.com

We only log the most recent POP connection:2013-05-19 11:06:44 from IP 68.171.232.33 - The time was Pacific US time.

General IP Information

IP: 68.171.232.33

Decimal:1152116769

Hostname:bbcs.blackberry.net

ISP:Research In Motion

Organization:   Research In Motion

Geolocation Information

Latitude:38  (38° 0′ 0.00″ N)

Longitude:-97  (97° 0′ 0.00″ W)