Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

zgall1
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

App for broadcasting my location to friends

I am going on a sailing trip next week and I am looking for an app that will allow me to broadcast my location to my friends. I have found a few apps but when I go to Blackberry World to download them, it says they are not available for my device, the Q10. Can anyone tell me a) why they are not available and b) an app that I can use for this purpose?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: App for broadcasting my location to friends

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

zgall1 wrote:
a) why they are not available

Each app must be specifically ported to every BB model number and major OS level combination. That's a lot of porting, and for BB10, it's even harder for the developers who came from the BBOS world as they cannot just port their app, but they actually have to re-write it from scratch. Many developers choose to not support all platforms. But, in all cases, the best place to lodge an inquiry for any apps you desire that are not available to you is the actual app developer, for it is their responsibility to write their app for your platform (if, indeed, they elect to...they are not required to).

zgall1 wrote:
 an app that I can use for this purpose?

No idea, but I'll ask the mods to move this to the proper forum board for proper attention for that.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk
My Carrier: Telus

Some thoughts....

• is there cell coverage where you are sailing?
  • will battery consumption be higher than normal?  Does the boat have a 12v accessory plug for you to use?
Please use plain text.
zgall1
My Carrier: Rogers

a) There will likely be cell coverage for most of the trip. 

b) The phone can be charged with an on-board plug

Please use plain text.