Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Reply
skg
New Member
skg
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-25-2013
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

BB follower, Z10 disappointments

1. Whatsapp (although it rivals BB) needs to be an immediately working and available application on the BB 10 range. I shouldn't have to download software first.

 

2. The new handsets should allow the option for users to turn their phones completely off and know the exact time a phone call or text message came in. Not just offer bedtime mode.

 

3. The 'select, copy and paste' features need to built back into text messages, etc as they are available in older BB models.  

 

4. Make another combined touch screen and physical qwerty key pad smartphone (like the Torch).

 

5. Allow users to delete other BBM user's updates without 'hiding them' as the Z10 seems to do.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
Posts: 648
Registered: ‎09-26-2012
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: BB follower, Z10 disappointments

[ Edited ]

skg wrote:

1. Whatsapp (although it rivals BB) needs to be an immediately working and available application on the BB 10 range. I shouldn't have to download software first.


In my opinion, this shouldn't be the case, because users should be able to choose which apps they want on their phones. I hate it when a lot of those apps are preinstalled on a phone. I don't use Whatsapp, so I don't want that app preinstalled on my phone. The same is the case for some other apps that are almost always preinstalled (Twitter, Facebook). Even if I use some of them, I don't want them to be preinstalled. If I want an app, I will download it myself, that only takes about 1 minute.

I like my phone clean when I start using it, not filled with useless applications that I have to remove first (if I can remove them).


skg wrote:

2. The new handsets should allow the option for users to turn their phones completely off and know the exact time a phone call or text message came in. Not just offer bedtime mode.


This is just not possible, because turning of your phone, prevents your phone from receiving phone calls and text messages. So if your phone is not able to receive text messages and calls, there is no way to know when these have arrived. Your phone only knows this when they have actually arrived. Telecom providers don't provide the functionality to get the time and date of messages or phone calls, they just forward these to the phone which has to determine the time and date.

So if the phone is not able to receive the calls and messages, because it is turned off, there is no way for the phone to know this. There is not a single phone that will have this feature.


skg wrote:

3. The 'select, copy and paste' features need to built back into text messages, etc as they are available in older BB models.  


Have you tried long pressing on a word? Normally you can just long press words to select them. If you selected them you will receive options on what you can do with them, like select-all, copy and paste.


skg wrote:

4. Make another combined touch screen and physical qwerty key pad smartphone (like the Torch).


This phone is already planned, it is called the Q10. This device will be launched somewhere at the end of April if I am not mistaken. So a little patience and you will be able to buy such a device in your country.


skg wrote:

5. Allow users to delete other BBM user's updates without 'hiding them' as the Z10 seems to do.


Why do you want to delete them? Isn't hiding not enough? Sorry, but I don't actually see a huge difference in hiding and deleting. Just that hiding is a little user friendlier, for when you did it by mistake.



A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,380
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: BB follower, Z10 disappointments


ndsmyter wrote:

skg wrote:

5. Allow users to delete other BBM user's updates without 'hiding them' as the Z10 seems to do.


Why do you want to delete them? Isn't hiding not enough? Sorry, but I don't actually see a huge difference in hiding and deleting. Just that hiding is a little user friendlier, for when you did it by mistake.


those two features are completely different. skg is talking of a feature that exists on OS5 / OS6 / OS7 devices, where in BBM, you can display the status updates, and then delete them.


Which means after a couple of hours, the only statuses that will appear are the new ones.

 

 

This is completely different from hiding the status, which means you can never see them.

 

skg's request is like emails. We want to receive emails, and delete them when we want, as opposed to not receiving emails at all.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
Posts: 648
Registered: ‎09-26-2012
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: BB follower, Z10 disappointments

Never used BBM on OS7 or earlier, explains why I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for clarifying.


A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,380
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: BB follower, Z10 disappointments


skg wrote:

1. Whatsapp (although it rivals BB) needs to be an immediately working and available application on the BB 10 range. I shouldn't have to download software first.


Hello skg,

 

I have two comments about this:

 

first, I have several phones, and on one of them I absolutely do not want to have WhatsApp launched, because there are some people that are in my contacts solely for the ability to filter them. I do not want them to be able to see me on WhatsApp.

So no, I disagree on the fact that WhatsApp should be immediately working. There is a huge difference between WhatsApp and the other social apps, because the other apps require a specific account. That is why it is not a problem to have Facebook installed, because the user can decide to log in or not.

 

second idea.

having the app immediately available (= already installed) instead of having to download it.

I do not see why all Z10 owners should have that app installed on their device. There is a notion of liberty on what I have on my Z10, and it is of course in direct antagonism with the fact that it is easier for a WhatsApp user to use WhatsApp.

 

My personal feeling is that forcing a user to download an app before using it is not a huge difficulty. For example it enables the user to understand what BlackBerry World is, as well as force the user to setup their BlackBerry ID account, and so on.

 

Besides, you want to have WhatsApp installed at first launch, but I want the Yellow Pages app too, and Foursquare and so on.

This is endless.

 

I have a question regarding this:

is this a Z10 disappointment to you, being forced to install WhatsApp ?

because this is the title of your message.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
Posts: 18,380
Registered: ‎07-29-2008
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: BB follower, Z10 disappointments


skg wrote:

2. The new handsets should allow the option for users to turn their phones completely off and know the exact time a phone call or text message came in. Not just offer bedtime mode.


Those are very nice features. In France, those are handled by the carrier (you can ask for an email for missed calls, for voicemail, and for SMS).

Some other carriers have their own app, and you'll receive a notification in the app instead of an email.

 

I believe what you are asking for, on the device level, is not technically not possible, unless your carrier has its own app for that.




The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.