Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Scottgo
My Device: Z10

Golf gps app

Does anyone know of a good golf gps app for the Z10. I have used skydroid twice now and the 1st time is continually froze, the 2nd it said that the location services on my phone were not working. Is there an issue with location services for gps on the Z10? Thanks
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pkcable
My Device: Z30/Xperia Z Ultra

Re: Golf gps app

Location services work fine on the Z10, but perhaps not so much with that app.  It sounds like it's an android port and it might not be handling the calls to location services properly.  You might need to contact the developer of the app on that issue.  His/her contact info should be in the App description on App World

Rich C (PKcable)
From Crackberry.com

If I have been helpful please click like! Use the Thumbs up icon below this message. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

Guys I'm the developer for that app.

The app works fine on the Z10 (I have one). There are a few issues due to the fact that the Z10 will turn off Location Updates for Android apps when user clicks the power button to turn off the screen, then the app might take 5 seconds to get a new Location when screen is turned back on. I'm working with Blackberry now on possible workarounds.

Scottgo->If you email me directly contact@skydroid.net I can assist with any issues. Are you a developer or a golfer looking for an app?

You may want to check your Location Services settings: Settings app->Location Services: Make sure it says "ON" next to Location services then click the button to check Application Permissions, click SkyDroid and make sure it says On next to "GPS Location".

Also make sure you are using the app outdoors at the golf course. If you test from home or indoors it is unlikely to work.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
pkcable
My Device: Z30/Xperia Z Ultra

Fraggle222 wrote:

Guys I'm the developer for that app.

The app works fine on the Z10 (I have one). There are a few issues due to the fact that the Z10 will turn off Location Updates for Android apps when user clicks the power button to turn off the screen, then the app might take 5 seconds to get a new Location when screen is turned back on. I'm working with Blackberry now on possible workarounds.

Scottgo->If you email me directly contact@skydroid.net I can assist with any issues. Are you a developer or a golfer looking for an app?

You may want to check your Location Services settings: Settings app->Location Services: Make sure it says "ON" next to Location services then click the button to check Application Permissions, click SkyDroid and make sure it says On next to "GPS Location".

Also make sure you are using the app outdoors at the golf course. If you test from home or indoors it is unlikely to work.

This is what's so great about these forums.  The developer might even see your thread and come in and answer your question!   GREAT work Fraggle!

Rich C (PKcable)
From Crackberry.com

If I have been helpful please click like! Use the Thumbs up icon below this message. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
bercawd
My Device: playbook 16gb, blackberry z10

I also use skydroid on the z10 and it works great with two exceptions - unavailability of courses and poor battery management. Otherwise absolutely great!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

->bercawd, glad you are using and liking the app. Not much we can do about battery since any app you use for a long time (5hrs) will drain the battery and probably a lot of that usage comes from just using the screen a lot. GPS will use it as well, but  you need GPS for the app, so again not a lot we can do there.

Keep the screen off while not actively getting a yardage and that should help greatly, and start with a full charge for sure.

Course availability is good in the U.S., and while we have lot's of international courses the coverage can be spotty in some areas. We only have courses that have been mapped by our user community, so it's not based on course reputation or anything.

You can go online to www.skydroid.net to add any courses we are missing that you play. That's how all the courses get there, because only golfers that play there know the course layouts. So sort of a world wide crowd sourced effort if you will. 

Let me know if you have any more questions or email contact@skydroid.net

Please use plain text.