Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
arty_morty
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

Kindle for Blackberry 10

[ Edited ]

I went to Blackberry World on my laptop and found this app, which was then sent to my Z10.  But when I tried to run it the app wass 'unavailable for this device'. Any ideas?

http://tech2.in.com/news/apps/amazon-kindle-app-comes-to-blackberry-10/843832

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Kindle for Blackberry 10

Hello,

Please carefully check the AppWorld catalog page (via PC/Browser while NOT logged into your BBID/AppWorld):

Check carefully all of the "Supported" categories to be sure your country and carrier are included. If they are not, then that's the answer. If they are, then I'd recommend you contact the app publisher to have them investigate with BlackBerry as to why their app is not being made properly available.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
arty_morty

Thanks. I checked, and...
Supported countries - All countries
Supported carriers (includes) - Vodafone (UK)
Supported devices - Blackberry Z10

So it should work?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

"Should" is the operative work in what you've said...but, as I said earlier, "If they are, then I'd recommend you contact the app publisher to have them investigate with BlackBerry as to why their app is not being made properly available."

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
arty_morty

The publisher is listed as Amazon Services LLC but I can't find a contact for them.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Really? You don't see these clickable links on the AW catalog page?

Capture.JPG

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
arty_morty

:Oops:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Perus
My Device: Q10 SQN-3
My Carrier: Telia Sonera SE

Hello!

I asked Amazon the following question regarding lack of Amazon Kindle for the Q10;

"I wonder what happened to the promise given by Blackberry/Amazon? regarding the release of a Kindle reader app for the BlackBerry Q10 as its already available for the Z10?"

And their response was;

"I've checked and would like to inform you that we've released our Kindle app for all the blackberry 10 series devices. I'd also like to inform you that problem is not from our end as we've released the app as promised. 

The problem is that Q10 device isn't supporting the Kindle app due to the Blackberry platform. The problem is from their end. 

In this case, I request you to contact the Blackberry customer support team as hey can help you better in this case."

I really don't like to sideload so is waiting the next step or what to do?

Regards,

Per

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello Perus,

That is a very interesting response indeed! Not being an app developer myself, I can only go by what I understand the process to be, but I do understand that it is the developers responsibility to ensure that their app is properly listed in the AppWorld catalogs. At present, that app still shows as only for the Z10. Given what they have told you, I have actually a couple of different suspicions.

1) They have not actually ported the app to the Q10. Apps need to be ported to each specific BB model number and major OS level. There is no way to simply write an app for, as they say, "all the blackberry 10 series devices". Rather, they must write their app for the Z10, the Q10, and any other BB10 devices that come to exist in the future. Example -- the screen display and keyboard input are quite different on the Z10 versus the Q10, and the app must accommodate those differences in order to function properly on a specific device. Likewise, if the OS receives a major update, they would have to re-port their app to that as well (e.g., if the update from 10.0 to 10.1 is a major update, then the developer has work to do).

2) They have, as they imply, written their app for the Q10, but it has not properly pushed through the AppWorld publication process. If that is the case, and they (the developer) believe it to be taking longer than it should, then they (the developer) remain the responsible party to investigate why that is so. Only they have access to their dedicated Vendor Portal for communications with BlackBerry on such a matter -- end users have no such communication portal. Further, it actually is in the developers best interest to ensure that their app is properly pushed through the various distribution channels...it is not the responsibility (IMHO) of the users to try and "pull" things through those channels.

In any event, from all that I understand coupled with what they have told you, I believe it remains the developers responsibility to ensure that their app is properly represented in their chosen distribution channel...it is not, IMHO, the users responsibility for that. And users have no communication channel anyway for that purpose, while the developers do have their dedicated Vendor Portal.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

here are the facts.

1) the Kindle app for BlackBerry 10 is available here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25058915/
if you look at the supported devices, there is only the Z10.
This means that on Amazon's size, when they manage their app in BlackBerry World, there is a checkbox for the Z10, but not for the Q10.

2)
when the Q10 was released, BlackBerry took all the apps for the Z10 in BlackBerry World, and tried to automatically port them to the Q10. This was an engagement from BlackBerry towards all the Z10 developers, and indeed they ported what worked, and automatically checked the checkbox that says "this app is compatible with the Q10".

3) as far as I know each developer does not receive any email when 2) works correctly.

4)
for apps that could not be ported, the developer has the choice to:
a) do nothing, meaning the app is only compatible with the Z10
b) explicitly port the app for the Q10, then verify it works fine using the Q10 Simulator, and check the checkbox

That being said, I think the Amazon developer believes that 2) is made by BlackBerry for all apps, including those that need a real work from the developer.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.