Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Razius
My Device: none
My Carrier: bell
Accepted Solution

Question about BB apps...

Hi, I'm currently a android owner on a vibrant phone. I'm looking for a new phone and I'm considering the iphone 5 OR the blackberry z10.

With my current phone I have 2 things that really bug me when it comes to the apps. What I want to know about the BBz10 and its apps is...

Do the bb apps require alot of personal info such as my contacts or location or phone info? I know some apps would but for the samsung apps, I've seen apps such as chess want personal info which I feel is unnecessary.

Secondly On my phone there are some apps that require me to have to go and force close them even after I exit the app. Do the BB apps have this issue or are they finished running when you exit them?

Any Android owner will know what I mean with my questions. I'm hoping the BB apps are better when it comes to personal info and not being so invasive.

Thanks for any answers.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Question about BB apps...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Your question about personal information in apps actually would be better directed to the app developers. BlackBerry does not develop all of the apps...indeed, only a small fraction of them. The 3rd party developers create their apps, and place into them the requirements that they desire. I've not seen anything on BlackBerry to the extent you indicate, except within apps that would have a reason for it (e.g., BB Travel simply needs some data to work correctly). Then again, I've not used the types of apps you mention as examples (e.g., chess).

As for app exiting, BlackBerry 10 is pretty good about releasing apps. Historically, apps had the ability to leave themselves resident when closed in a particular way, but if closed properly, they could be forced to really close. On BB10, I don't think that capability exists in quite the same way, but I also think that BB10 is written very well from a memory management standpoint.

YMMV.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

re: personal information.
When you install an app on a BlackBerry phone (including the Z10), there is a mandatory setting where you explicitly allow the app that you are installing, to access such and such information on your phone (access files, GPS position, id, contacts and so on).
So just review that screen thoroughly and choose what you allow. Most of the times, the app will still work (except of course a camera app will not work if you do not give access to the camera :smileywink: )

That security setting can of course also be edited by you after the application is installed.

re: hidden apps.
Currently on the Z10, and on the upcoming Q10, all the apps that are not part of the core operating system can be seen on the ActiveFrames screen, with just a flick of the thumb from anywhere you are.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Razius
My Device: none
My Carrier: bell

Thanks for the great replies! 

Update..

I went to the local mall to inquire about a new phone, I learned that my contract will end in a few months. So I went to other cell providers and many of them told me that their Z10's displays had been stolen. (I wanted to look at it first hand). Aswell these stores tried to sell me the new samsung phone which actually annoyed me. I'm sure there was something going on when a cell phone company is trying to push a certain brands phone. Unfair business practices perhaps?

Anyway I decided I will be a new BBz10 owner once my contract is up. I want to support a Canadian company and I also like what I've seen and read about the z10 phone. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
NdotIndia
My Device: blackberry bold 9900 ( I am a blackberry application developer)
My Carrier: Vodafone India

I would recommend you to go for iPhone5 because it has all the essential features. You can use that for doing your business activities also. 

Please use plain text.