Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Kelsoguy
My Device: Blackberry Z30

how do I use wifi at home for phone calls?

Is there a way to configure the Blackberry Z30 to use my home WiFi network to make outgoing phone calls and to receive incoming phone calls when the WiFi signall is available?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: how do I use wifi at home for phone calls?

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Yes...possible...if...

• If your carrier supports it -- they must have infrastructure in place between their voice network and the Internet. Not all carriers have that.

• If your carrier has released a WiFi calling app that is compatible with your device and OS level. Not all carriers who have the necessary infrastructure have caught up with the most recent BB devices and OS levels.

Both of those "ifs" must be "true"...otherwise, the service is not available to you. I can tell you that on my BB10 with TMO-US, their network does support this, but they have yet to catch up with the latest BB10 OS levels for their app. Hence, I only reach "true" on the first requirement...and therefore cannot have WiFi calling until TMO catches their required device app up to the latest OS levels.

You, of course, must inquire of your own carrier to determine the result of both of those required "ifs".

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Kelsoguy

Thank you.  I received a Z30 evaluation unit from Blackberry for potential uses in my industry.   

The sim slot is open.  I was told the unit would be pre-configured for Verizon.

Today, I learned that Verizon charges $50 for the first GB.  I can do much better.

In fact Verizon sells me 1 GB / month on my Chromebook for $20 !!

I am not speed-sensitive

any further suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I am very confused...you originally asked about WiFi calling...are you changing the topic now? I am confused...

If you are asking about various data plans from different carriers, that is something only you can evaluate...each carrier has their own plans available, and those can even vary by region. So you need to research your local market to determine the data plan that best meets your particular requirements.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Kelsoguy

thanks.  i skipped a step

is it possible to use the z30 for wifi phone calls within range of a secure LAN if the Z30 is not enabled by a cdma carrier yet ?

The LAN has access to VOIP capability already.

I was informed that a Blackberry app might facilitate this.

thanks,

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Ahhh...yes, an entirely different question indeed -- not UMA, but rather pure VoIP. OK.

So, you have a Z30 that has no carrier-level voice service at all on it (e.g., no SIM card), and you want to use a 3rd party VOIP app (e.g., Google Voice) that could allow you to make/receive phone calls via WiFi with that 3rd party service. OK...as such, this belongs in the BB10 Downloaded Apps board, not the device support board. Stand by...our Mods will shortly move it, and hopefully someone with specific experience with that (not me, sorry) will come by with answers for you.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Kelsoguy

thanks.  i "liked" all of your replies.  can i credit you with the final answer on this board without losing the ability to reward the true final answer on the new board ?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the likes! This entire thread will move to the proper board, and it will no longer be visible in the Z30 device board. But, I think that it indeed is possible for you to mark more than one post in your thread as solution.

Thanks and good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates